Caulking

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by joshmoch, Dec 16, 2017.

1. joshmoch

joshmoch New Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Sarasota, FL
    Just bought a 2014 Viking PUP and I'm seeing that all the seams are caulked with a thick black caulking that is plyable. I can't tell if this is from the manufacturer or something the previous owner added. All the caulks I've seen for roofs and seams on PUPs are white and drives fairly ridged.

What are your thoughts?

2. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    What color is the siding the meets up to the caulk?

3. joshmoch

joshmoch New Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Sarasota, FL
    The top and sides are white, the trim pieces are black

4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Dont know what it is, but look for Dicor brand....Whatever you do, skip the silicone from the hardware store.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Just to clarify, you're talking about caulking and not the butyl tape that is applied under trim pieces, lights, etc.?

6. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    I woul think it is factory as mew as it is.

I agree with the last psy. Use silicon Avoid caulk from the big box store. They only seem to carry acid base curing caulk. For the longest results use naturally curing caulk.

7. joshmoch

joshmoch New Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Sarasota, FL
    It's not tape. I can press on it and it is very pliable. And it leaves a little black sticky on my finger. It seems very similar to roofing tar caulking.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Butyl tape remains pliable, it’s like a putty tape. (It was 25 years old on our first popup when we renovated it, still pliable.) however, i don’t remember having it or a caulking such as Dicor rubbing off on my fingers, though I could ick at it.

arge likes this.
  9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    For Horizontal seams specially on the roof you can use Dicor self leveling and for vertical seams, You could use the expensive non sag Dicor, or use what 90% of the dealers use.. Silicon ..

10. joshmoch

joshmoch New Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Sarasota, FL
    After some more investigation, I have determined that that the previous owner, in an effort to seal several leaking joints, removed all of the trim, filled them with massive amounts of Black Jack Asphalt Caulk, and put the trim pieces back on.....needless to say, my wife and I have spent the better part of 5 hours removing the trim, scraping off the Black Jack and cleaning it up with mineral spirits.

I will be resealing all of the seams with Dicor over the course of the next few days. Sigh.....

Thanks for the help everyone