Ceiling redo 74 Lionel

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Jennysfur, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Jennysfur

Jennysfur Hubby, 2 lil ones and I!! '74 Lionel 100

Jul 23, 2015
    Ripping down the waterlogged ceiling of our popup and realised there is no bracing!!! So two questions... How the heck do you remove the left over adhesive?? And I'm thinking of using 1 inch foam and 1/8 inch plywood to redo the ceiling so I would use 1x1 bracing??? Going camping in 1 month!! Work part time and a full time mommy to a couple of rambunctious kids!!

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Seems like you got it under control. How about showing us your project?

3. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    If you're buying 1x1, which is sold as moulding, it may actually measure 3/4x3/4. If you're using 1" foam then you'll need to rip down 1"x1" bracing out of a 2x4 or 2x6.

I'm no expert here but that sounds like a rather small brace. I think most PUP roofs are 2x2 which are actually 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 braces. Perhaps yours may be different. Anyway good luck on the re-build. Sounds like we need to have a PUP Camper garage day where we can gather at a fellow campers garage and work on stuff together. Kinda like a good ole Amish barn raising.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    JiffyPopJunkie, Orchid and jnc like this.
  4. Jennysfur

Jul 23, 2015
    Wow blonde moment!!! Thanks Dan you solved one of my problems. It was actually 1 1/2 thick foam in there to start with. I forgot that 2x4's and the such are not true to size!!! Your a gem!! The camper garage idea sounds like a dream!! It's pretty much just myself working on this and sometimes my husband when he isn't working (spring/summer is his busy time)!

5. Jennysfur

Jul 23, 2015
    Have to do the ceiling with it still on no room in my tiny backyard! This darn adhesive doesn't wanna budge though! Kidless today! Hope to get the ceiling cleaned off, wiring done and fif the cables for the lift system!

Attached Files:

6. Jennysfur

Jul 23, 2015
    Any recommendations for getting the rest of the adhesive off?? Tried wire brush on a drill and paint thinner.

7. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Acetone usually works well but Dan from Troup had it remove the paint also.

8. Jennysfur

Jul 23, 2015
    Perfect!! No paint to worry about!! Off to go get some acetone!!!