Centurian 3000 model CS2000-lights, LPG and furnace fuse blowing

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Kdrk1, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Kdrk1

Kdrk1 New Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Hello,
    Into our 8th week in our 2001 Coleman Niagara with no issues until we started to blow the number 2 output 15 amp blade fuse (second from the left of the four fuses). The interior lights, the furnace and the LPG seem to be the only things not working. Breakers have not tripped. Each time I put a new fuse in it blows.
    We are plugged in to the campsite 30 amp and have had no issues for 8 weeks. Outlets and AC work fine as does the fridge. I no longer see or hear the converter fan running which usually kicked on when the lights were put on.....I've read about every post I can find but nothing seems to relate to this blown fuse issue- could this be a dead converter?
    Any insight or help would be much appreciated as we have 4 more weeks to go and there isnt any RV repair place within 100 miles! Thanks everyone.

2. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    It does not sound like its a converter problem. It sounds like something in that circuit (Interior lights, furnace and the LPG) has shorted to ground. Best way to trouble it is use a Ohm meter at the circuit side of the fuse plug without a fuse plugged in with the other lead on the ohm meter connected to ground . You should have a very low reading very similar to touching the two leads of the ohm meter together. Turn off every thing in the circuit if the ohm increased when you turned off anything you problem is after wht you turn off. If no change begin disconnecting parts of the circuit until you see ohms increase. That the part of the circuit there is an issue. Its a pain to find a short.

3. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    You either have a short in the circuit or a bad converter.

The Centurion converters go bad. When they do the results are unpredictable. Coleman/Fleetwood would replace them with WFCO 8700 series converters. It's a straight forward swap.

The list of things not working is a list of all most all of your 12v items. Given that so many things have been affected, I would replace the converter.

4. Kdrk1

Kdrk1 New Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Thank you both for your help. I do see that these power units seem to be really prone to failure. What's baffling is if the converter is bad wouldn't the other fuses also blow when called on for power i.e. fridge? I'm going to systematically try to eliminate each item on this circuit after purchasing a bulk of fuses to try and rule out a short. After 16 yrs the converter owes me nothing but I'd hate to replace it only to find the same issue! I'll have to find an ohm meter while on the road as well. Is there a specific model converter that's an exact fit in the same hole?

5. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    The WFCO 8735 or 8740 is the same width and about .25 inches taller. I replaced the Centurion in my Palomino with a 8740 and never looked back. This summer I replaced the Magnatek converter in my Coleman with an 8740 because I wanted the system to charge my battery when on shore power.

6. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    I would agree with the others, that you seem to have a short somewhere. And the first place I would look is the wiring that runs from the box to the ceiling usually at the back street side lift post. There's two connectors one on the top and one on the bottom, their wires have been known to pull out after awhile.