Changing stabilizer jacks

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by mpotapa, Mar 14, 2014.

1. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    I have a 1992 jayco 1206 and want to change the stabilizer jacks from what I currently have to the scissor lift kind. One of my jacks doesn't stay up unless I use a zip tie or something to hold it and another bottom plate is busted. I was going to take them off and add the scissor jacks but wasn't sure what it entails. Once it warms up I was going to take a look under my camper to check out what needs to be done but was wondering if anyone has done this.

2. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Nov 14, 2012
    The scissor stabilizers can't usually be mounted in place of the swing down stabilizers. Etrailer sells replacement swing downs, for $20 each.
    It sounds like you need just 1 and can move the bottom leg from the one that doesn't lock to the one with the busted foot.

3. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Do you happen to know if the swing down kind are screwed in or welded?

4. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Nov 14, 2012
    Usually they are bolt mounted but they can be welded.

5. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Thanks for the info. I would rather bolt mount them since I would have to borrow a welder from someone.

6. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    After looking at mine it appears they are welded on. I don't see where it would be bolted. Now I have to figure out how I can switch out the broken ones. The good news is I have a lot of time before I plan on going camping.

7. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    you may be able to take a grinding wheel or cutting wheel, remove the ones you have and than you can drill holes and add the bolted ones to replace your old stabilizers.

8. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Yeah, I might do that. Once it warms up a bit I'll jack up the trailer and take a better look. I really want to fix this one up so I can use it for awhile before I buy a brand new one. The stabilizer jacks and porta potti are two of the main things I want to do right away.

9. highlander70

highlander70 New Member

Mar 13, 2014
    If for some reason your not able to replacing the stock stabilizer jacks, check out the jack stand style stabilizer on the big auction site, you can get a 2 pack for about 25 bucks and they are the twist style, you twist and the jack stand goes up. I am planning on getting these for the front of our pup.
    My pup has 2 jacks in back but only one up front and when the kids start running around you can feel the pup sway so I plan to use them up front for more stability

10. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    highlander70 can you tell me what the big auction site is? I never heard of it and would like to check it out. Thanks!

11. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Consider something like THIS instead of a scissor jack. They crank up and down but don't have the bulk of a scissor jack -- and they probably weigh less, too.

12. efehser

efehser New Member

Sep 3, 2012
    I bought what U_T recommended, you'll probably have to grind or cut off the swing down jacks. Jayco had a habit of welding them on. Then the new ones bolt on to the frame, easy install.

13. MileHigh

MileHigh Member

Jul 18, 2012
    I have 4 of what UT recommended. They work great and just bolted to the PUP.

14. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    thanks for the link to the bolt on stabz

15. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    When I bought my TT it had 2 swing down jacks at the rear and the screw jack at the front.
    I bought 4 scissor jack stabilizers from HF. I removed the 2 in the rear and bolted them to the frame, then drilled holes in the front and installed the other two, it made a big difference on making the unit more solid. HF numbers Haul-MasterĀ®- item#96406