Charge Line on 1996 Skamper Sport

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Skamper 96, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Skamper 96

Skamper 96 New Member

Jun 7, 2017
    for some reason my battery isn’t charging when plugged into shore power. How do I know what color and how do I know if the charge line from the converter is hooked up? Thanks in advance

2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    If you have the original converter, it probably doesn't charge the battery. What is the make and model of your converter?

If you have a switch to go between AC power and battery, I'll guarantee it doesn't charge.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  3. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    It is easy to test using an inexpensive MULTIMETER (WALMART-AMAZON). Place the multimeter across the two 12VDC battery terminals without shore power hooked up. It will read around 12.6-7VDC if the battery is fully charged. Then hookup shore power and your batteries should jump up to 13.6VDC or higher if it is a smart mode converter/charger.

[​IMG]
    Google Image

On my 2008 POPUP Trailer setup Both the 120VAC Converter/Charger and Battery connection are both tied the Power Distribution Panel allowing me to run my 12VDC item when i am hooked up to Shore power or running directly off the battery. When on shore power my Converter/charger unit then charges my batteries.

My 120VAC/12VDC Power Distribution Panel is the central location for my 30A Trailer Power Configuration and is similar to this...

[​IMG]
    My OFF-ROAD POPUP trailler has most of these appliance items to us. Some of the POPUP trailers may only a few 12VDC zones and a couple of 120VAC items available to use. My WFCO 8900 series Power Distribution Panel has one main 120VAC Circuit Breaker and eight 120VAC zones with their separate Circuit breakers. I also have eleven 12VDC Zones to use which has their own separate Fuses... ALot of the older and smaller POPUP trailers may only have one 120VAC Circuit breaker zone and three or four 12VDC fused zones... The Elixir smaller Power Distribution Panel w/converter was very popular for the smaller POPUP trailers.

This is my 120VAC and 12VDC Power Distribution setup for my OFF-ROAD Trailer.
    [​IMG]
    Roy's image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

4. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Brand and model of converter?