Cheap Bunk End LED Light Mod - Thanks Harbor Freight!

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by BikeNFish, Mar 9, 2018.

1. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    For those of you that want a cheap alternative to the plug-in bunk lights:

The DW and I have been using these cheap battery operated Harbor Freight LED lights for our bunk ends. They have two light sources, a magnetic base and a hook. You can use the hook to hang the light from the bunk support pole or use the magnet to hold it there. We keep a few of them in the pup and did not have to replace the batteries the entire summer.

Harbor Freight has free coupons out now (good thru 03/31/2018, but they produce new coupons every month or so).

HF Light.png

HERE is a description.

2. digger2

digger2 Member

Feb 24, 2012
    I have at least two of those from previous purchases.My wife asked what I was going to use them for.............now I know.........and she will too in a couple of minutes.
    GOOD IDEA.

MaeKay likes this.
  3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    They do work really good, after going dark I don't use them for that but for lots of other things. have several (freebies ) a bunch of the freebee small led lights, also screw driver sets etc. I go to HF quite often and make sure I get the free items. I did get a big laugh, I paid and when the cashier she asked" do you want the extended warranty in this light" I said "for a free light, you must be kidding" her face got red and then she also laughed.

LeighAnnD likes this.
  4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    I have a few of these. Great for setups in the dark. The magnet allows me to put it on to camper body.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Member

Jul 18, 2012
    I have used those for some time now. They work great as you have all mentioned.

6. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    they have a new light that looks like a light switch

7. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    Except the magnets have come unglued in pretty everyone of the HF I have purchased. And of course they disappear before their absence is noted.

They also make good temporary backup lights.

8. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    I tented a paper plate over one as a makeshift nightlight. HF may not be high quality but for free? They work pretty darn good! We hung them from our shepherds hooks on our first trip to conserve battery consumption but I’d already forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder!

9. BikeNFish

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Yeah, Harbor Freight quality has something to be desired but they are nice to have around when you need a cheap tool quick and you probably won't need to use it again or for a long time.

I work with another Portal member (J Starsky) that also shops on an occasional basis at Harbor Freight and we have, what we think is, a really good motto for them. It is:

Harbor Freight: It's Good Enough. [LOL]

Katskamper and MaeKay like this.
  10. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Harbor Freight it's Good & Cheap.

MaeKay likes this.
  11. D_Gibb

D_Gibb Member

Jul 20, 2016
    I am reminded of a quote from Escanaba in da Moonlight that says "Anything free is worth saving up for!"

MaeKay likes this.
  12. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    In the top 5 of the strangest movies I've ever seen.........[LOL]

13. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I like that. The magnetic on the back is neat as well. make temp hookup back-up light perhaps...

Been wanting to go visit Harbor Freights tools in Fredericksburg VA anyway just to nose around...

I just noticed their store sign last week when I was turning around to go back to Battery Plus... Missed my first turn hehe...

Roy Ken

14. BikeNFish

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I just picked up another one last week with a different free coupon. I think I'm up to six of them now. I used it last night when I was moving a couple of paver stones from the back yard to the front, I just used the hook and hung it from my t-shirt.

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  15. roybraddy

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Probably looked like a space alien with one eye from a distance hehe.. I have two or three difference LED lamps here. The one that pulls up out of its case is real handy... The more you out the brighter they get. Think I got six of these in a pack from WALMART... Runs on three AA-Batteries

[​IMG]

I kinda have a problem with LED lights tho - I guess it is direct light and doesn't diffuse any...

Great for getting groceries out of the back of the truck after dark... Also great for bath room when the power goes off and leaving you in the dark...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

16. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    How bright do these get? Would a single one be able to reasonably light up the inside of the pup at night?

17. roybraddy

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Definitely would light up the tent bed area... You might want to use two of them in main popup area... The part you pull up is round and has several rolls of led's around all sides... I imagine the PUCK light from Harbor Freight is going to be brighter but its lights are all in one direction... I'm thinking the Harbor Freight ones with the magnet on the back would be perfect for a portable back-up light. Just stick on the rear bumper when you need to use them then you won't have to worry about DOT Inspection times and having approved lights etc...

I got the round pull up lights for the house for when power goes off. One in every room so to speak - Works pretty good actually... Order one from AMAZON and if you like them order several more I guess...

I have changed over my ceiling lights in my trailer with LEDs and they work great and low drain on my battery bank...

Roy Ken

Rusty2192 likes this.
  18. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Jun 14, 2014
    If you want to step up a little, you can get this one from HF
    [​IMG]
    It is often on sale for $8, super strong magnet in the base and it swivels in any direction and locks. They are pretty awesome for under your awning at night if you are cooking. I also picked up one of their Braun bar folding LED lights. That one puts out 390 lumens and for sure it lights up the whole interior or your pup.

19. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    I swung by Harbor Freight today to get a couple things and grab the obligatory free light. It looks like they are changing up the lights. Instead of 27 individual LEDs, it now has a single bar style LED.

Old style on the left, new on the right.

87D4B6DF-3B46-4746-B927-200A8964270F.jpeg

I did a quick test in the garage. The old style seems brighter, but is a much more concentrated beam, almost like a spotlight. The new one is way more diffused and a more even light.

LeighAnnD and BikeNFish like this.
  20. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida

They work really good, I have a couple from HF (freebies) I do not use them as bunk lights but do use them for other things, The triangular flashers they have are good too I have about 6 that I keep in place of flares. Just about every mag that I take has the free 20% off coupon and I just
    received the 25% off Mothers day coupon , My wife calls HF Toys are us for men

BikeNFish likes this.