Cigarette lighter socket install for 12volts

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by BillykAldrich, May 19, 2017.

1. BillykAldrich

BillykAldrich New Member

Mar 24, 2017
    I want to wire up a double lighter socket. What gage wire should I use? I want to tap into 12 volt line I have found or run a line out to battery . I will use it for a fan and I have a plug in battery check. Until I find a meter to watch my battery use. Thanks folks

2. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    If connecting to an existing circuit there is no benefit to using wire large than the existing circuit.

If wiring to battery (or converter) be sure it is fused and 14 or 12 gauge wire is probably sufficient. I would use 12 gauge and a 20 amp fuse.

3. graham.m

graham.m New Member

Jun 5, 2017
    https://www.amazon.com/Cllena-Funct...=1496782403&sr=8-1&keywords=12+v+outlet+panel

Just ordered one of these to install, its coming from china so 2 week shipping delay, but it looks like a pretty slick little unit, voltage monitor, USB outlets and 12v 'lighter' style outlet.

No idea on quality yet but the price is tough to beat. I'm planning on just installing it into my converter, so it will use the fuse already installed in the converter, and the battery meter will be dedicated direct to the battery with an inline 5 amp fuse or something tiny just incase the china electronics poop the sheets.

sventinker likes this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Franklin, MA
    I bought 3 of that exact brand. Quality is just fine. I installed the first one last weekend.

5. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    I have one of those installed in my PUP, works fine

6. geogol

geogol New Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Guys can you please explain how you wired this 12v outlet you purchased. I understand you did not install a seperate AGM battery inside the pop up. You just wired it to the panel and power will go from 12 v battery located on the tounge. How did you wire it. Please send your pics or charts if you have. I am just a novice. Thanks

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Very simple the case of the lighter socket is the ground side. This can connect to any ground wire (usually white) in the PUP or to the metal frame of the PUP. The center of the socket is the positive side, this connects to the 12 volt power source. The easiest way is to tap into the power wire at the safety switch, light, convertor or even the battery. One of mine is tapped of the radio power wire.

Decide where you want the outlet. Be sure you can get to the backside of it to tighten and wire it. Now look around for something close by that is powered by 12 volts. You should be able to tap into that units wiring.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  8. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    If you are going to get one of the round meter panels you might want to get one that has an ON-OFF switch on it. I have a couple of those panels inside my OFF-ROAD Camper and those round meter really put off some bright light. Even too much to use for a nite light...

I got mine from AMAZON and like to get anything that is made by BLUE SEA products...

The round meter panels allow you to mount these panel either vertical or horizontal...

[​IMG]
    Google image

This is a good time to get those USB charger modules too for your cell phones and other portable electronic items. Real handy to have in a couple of spots inside your trailer...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

9. mrkrag

mrkrag Active Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Palm Harbor, FL
    I've noticed pretty much anything I have with a blue LED of any sort on it becomes distractingly bright when it is the only light on. A few have a spot of black tape over them now.

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    All those little LEDs can be bright, We added dimming sheets to some - the light is still visible (good for the telltales on the refrigerator for example, so we notice if it faults), but bearable. We have the dimming sheets on the microwave, even the LP/CO detector. For the smaller lights, there isn't enough static to hold them in place, so a couple have a small piece of tape at one edge.
    https://smile.amazon.com/Dim-It-Lig...ns&keywords=dim+it+light+dimming+sheets&psc=1

mrkrag likes this.
  11. geogol

geogol New Member

Oct 1, 2016
    HI Roy,
    I want to install 12 USB charge and voltmeter panel with a switch on off in my camper.
    I want to buy this in amazon. I did not find same as blue sea.
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01MT790P1/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A28H1T1RM3KZ58&psc=1

I have not much experience on this. Can you please tell me how did you do it? Where did you hook it up. To another battery or the one that you have outside. Do I need to buy and install fuse breaker and a separate batter AGM to install it inside. What is the location. Thanks for your help

12. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia

Let me get back to you this afternoon... Got a couple of things I need to get done this morning... My setup was to support my Ham Radio items so it may be abit overkill for what you want to do.

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

13. barrieb24

barrieb24 The Road's My Home

Apr 12, 2016
    Denver
    Geogol...do you have a converter in the TT?

I just did one similar (12v USB and Lighter Combo). I tied directly into an empty DC line in back of my converter...white is ground and blue was positive. I drilled a hole in the panel under my driver side couch (closest to converter) and tied the wires together from the device to converter wires. Easy to get to by lifting the cushion if I ever need to fix or move it. Works great.

mrkrag likes this.
  14. mrkrag

mrkrag Active Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Palm Harbor, FL

HOW did this not occur to me? and I was about to just tie it straight to the battery block, which would preclude using it on shore power.
    thanks for the save...

barrieb24 likes this.