cleaning cushions and beds

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by lucky13don, Sep 29, 2016.

1. lucky13don

lucky13don Member

Jul 13, 2016
    sf bay area
    whats the best way to clean the cushions and bedding? its a ntu pup, so thinking it would be in best to clean everything before we go camping.was thinking maybe have a carpet cleaner come out and clean them.should be cheap,i can pull everything out for them.any ideas?is it easy to dyi?

2. jjmac

jjmac New Member

Jul 26, 2008
    In both of the pup's I've owned, the cushions and beds had covers that I could unzip and take off. I washed the covers in the washing machine on "bedding" mode, and the inside foam I sprayed with a bleach/water mixture and let dry in the sun (uv light kills bedbugs etc)

3. 92coleman

92coleman New Member

Oct 8, 2015
    If your cushions have zippered covers, you can usually take them off and wash them in your machine on gentle cycle with a gentle detergent like Woolite. Let them line dry, do not put in the dryer. As far as the foam inserts, let them air out in the sun. You can also spray the foam with a vinegar/water mixture to neutralize odors or Febreeze to freshen them up.

4. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    I'm a big fan of UV light of the sun and Fabreze. I don't unzip. Anything upholstered that I've unzipped never went back together right for me, so it stays on.

5. lucky13don

lucky13don Member

Jul 13, 2016
    sf bay area
    Thanks for the replys.Im going to check for zippers

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

7. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Streator, IL
    I did my bedding in my NTMe pup a few years ago with laundry detergent in a bucket of water using just the foam from the top of the mixture applied and scrubbed with a sponge and then used my Green machine with plain water as a rinse then let air dry in the sun. If I ever do it again, I'll do the same except instead of the Green Machine, I'll use my carper cleaner as the extractor because it has a much wider head. Never tried it but I remember reading somewhere (maybe here) that unzipping and machine washing will result in difficulty getting the covers back on.

8. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

Jan 13, 2008
    I've always been able to get them back into the covers without TOO much trouble. I usually lean them up against a wall and just use the garden hose on them (both sides), then let them lean in the sun to drain and dry. It might take a day or two to dry all the way. Once the water drains all the way down I'll rotate it 90* so it all drains to one corner.

I was amazed at how long it took to rinse the previous owner's soap residue out of them the first time I did this.

9. 92coleman

92coleman New Member

Oct 8, 2015
  10. Emulcahey

Emulcahey New Member

Jun 24, 2017
    We purchased a 2005 Starcraft 2409 that after pulling the cushions out, never was flipped. I tried the above for smell (Baking soda and Vinegar) and it worked just fine. I then pulled the hose out soaked the beds and used Wet&Forget moss mold mildew & algae stain remover we used on the exterior of the pop up.
    The wife helped me yank the King into the bed to dry and the queen is on a tarp. Both are drying as I am writing this. The stains lifted and will work for now. The cushions we took upstairs and put in the washer with light washing cycle and put into the dryer for 10 minutes then pull and air dry. We do not have an agitator in the washer just FYI. It's a barrel open LG Smart Drum washer if that helps.

11. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    A week ago, I pulled all the cushion covers off, washed in a machine, then hung them in the back to dry. Since it has been sunny and warm and there is no humidity in ID, took about a half hour to dry. Then put the foam back in. It takes some time, but not as hard as it looks.
    Since I'm the original owner, not worried about the mattresses but usually have a sheet on it so I can wash the sheet after each trip. Biggest problem I have is dog fur, and the best thing I found for that is to take my Shark into the trailer and use the small motorized brush for cushions and the bed.

Emulcahey likes this.
  12. Emulcahey

Emulcahey New Member

Jun 24, 2017
    2 German shepherds here and the Shark has helped us dramatically.

13. cannotbackup

cannotbackup Member

Jun 24, 2016
    +1 for unzipping and washing. We unzipped and first soaked overnight in laundry tub with mix of soap and vinegar - agitateda bit and the water was dark brown - lots of fine sand etc. Then washed. Air dried on a sunny day and nice and clean. If you got curtains/valences might as well do a soak and wash while at it.

Emulcahey likes this.
  14. scott33

scott33 New Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Should or can you wash the foam cushions with water if so how do you dry them.

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I've never tried to wash the foam, but others seem to have had mixed success. We did replace the original foam in our first pup, since it was no longer comfortable. I made new covers with longer zippers to make it easier to remove and replace for washing.
    Once secret to replacing the covers on the foam cushions is to use thin plastic, like a thin drop cloth, around the foam, slide the cover on and pull the plastic film out. The original covers in our first pup had sort of a rubbery backing, and that hint help - a lot.

16. scott33

scott33 New Member

Aug 10, 2017
    did the covers have like a vinyl side