Coleman ABS rear panel

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Raycfe, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Removed a rear plastic panel off of a Coleman Cheyenne today. Not too bad of a job. Hardest part was getting aluminum top plate off. It has sticky tape on the bottom and is also the top channel for the rear interior panel.
    Here's what I had to fix.....
    [​IMG]
    The spare tire carrier pulls on the panel ... Coleman should have just bolted to the bumper ..... end of problem.
    The wood strip on the side split and let the panel pull back.
    [​IMG]
    Here's what the inside of the rear panel looks like .... it is unpainted from the factory.
    [​IMG]
    And here's the finished look
    [​IMG]

2. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Lake Orion, Mi.
    Looks like you're well on your way to putting that Coleman back into tiptop shape. Keep us included on all the repairs and mods to the NTU PUP. I've never figured out why some things are so well built on these trailers and other parts are just shabby and poorly assembled. What did you do to repair the split wood? At least it looks like you got to it before the wood rotted. Details, we need details. [MOD]

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I replaced the side and lower supports with hardwood, and added a support to the underside of the top board. Gorilla glued and screwed. The top corner now has a strong metal L bracket from the side steel upright to the rear side. I gave it two coats of paint, which it sucked right in. I still believe that wood needs to be protected more than to breath. Only took an afternoon to do. The ABS panel had two cracks that I glued a couple of scrap ABS pieces to the backside for support and to waterproof. I will most likely add a front and rear J channel to the roof in the spring.

4. JeffRock

JeffRock New Member

Jul 7, 2009
    NY
    Was this back piece originally secured with rivets?

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    No rivets ....... just the screws for the bumper end caps and 3 or 4 more along the bottom, at least on our 2000. On the top, just the screws for the aluminum plate, which is also glued/tape to the panel. Pry the plate free with a putty knife and the panel will/should slide out. The nuts for the spare tire mount will also have to come off. All the lights are pop riveted on. Using 1/4 inch expandable rivets. The rivets have slots in them and expand like wings when installed. A 1/4 inch rivet or rivet tool is not easily found. Any light replacement will be a pain in the butt. Just to add the ABS is fragile when cold and a hot glue gun works on a crack or split.

6. bigg22

bigg22 New Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Great explanation, my Bayside is doing the same thing.

7. TheDuke

TheDuke Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Southern MN
    Just did this repair. Thanks Raycfe for the photos. I beefed up corners with 2x4's and painted. Work went pretty well, had some screws sheared off, but after about 4 hours total, got it done and good as new.

8. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Stillwater, MN
    Thanks for sharing. My 2000 Cheyenne has the same issue. On my list of repairs.

9. clock152

clock152 Member

Feb 5, 2012
    This was a really easy repair to do and in the end its better than factory. Thanks for the write up. We did the same thing with the L brackets and gluing in new side wood. I did think about running another L channel or square tube along the top inside connected to the end metal strips to support the spare tire... but its good for now.

10. jwilson427se

jwilson427se New Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Just discovered this problem with our 2003 Coleman Carmel. I was so discouraged because of my lack of knowledge about these things. Well, thanks to you, I feel much better. THANKS FOR PROVIDING SOME HOPE AND INSPIRATION!!

11. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Makes me feel good to help ........ thanks

12. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    When I had the rear panel off our 96 Bayport, I glued rigid foam insulation to it. I hoping to cut down on the heat transfer doing the hot Texas summer.

13. Eric Lamontagne

Eric Lamontagne New Member

May 23, 2017
    Cornwall, Ontario
    i had this exact thing happen but on my front panel, where it was cracked water got in and rotted the wood.
    so on reassembly i added a peice of plastic vapor barier under the panel andglued it into place