Coleman ABS Roof

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by benfrench, Oct 11, 2011.

Have you had any issues with your Coleman ABS Roof?

1. Yes, sagging, I fixed it ..

15.4%
  2. Yes, sagging, I got rid of it ..

4.5%
  3. No, never had any issues ..

33.3%
  4. Yes, cracking, I fixed it ..

51.3%
  5. Yes, cracking, I got rid of it ..

10.9%
  1. Yukon Joe

Yukon Joe 2002 Colman Niagara

Sep 6, 2014
    Got any pics of the final roof?

2. jdamiano

jdamiano New Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Here it is. I am waiting for a new main gasket to arrive Friday to finish the roof. I have decided to get a new aluminum awning rail and through bolt it.

Attached Files:

3. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    Nice job...congrats.

4. jdamiano

jdamiano New Member

Nov 27, 2016
    I mentioned in an earlier post, i did this once before over the ABS when i only had cracks. It was a wrinkly job and i didn't cover the sides. Held up great for 8 years parked outside. the only reason i did it again was the ABS was delaminating bad including the sides. The Peel and Seal still looked fine. Its really tough stuff and it is not going to come off. Once you put it on, its on for good.

5. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    We went the aluminum awning rail route too. : )

6. rbooher10

rbooher10 New Member

Dec 14, 2016
    When you mean your roof failed, did it look anything like this? I like your method, but I am unsure if it will work with the large cracks I have in my roof. And can I repair these cracks during the winter months in Texas.

Attached Files:

7. jdamiano

jdamiano New Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Mine looked that bad. To do it right you have to take off the AC, awning, latches and main seal then rip all the ABS plastic off. I would do it when you know your going to have several warm days in a row. Not so much about temp as the foam being completely dry. You don't want to trap any moisture in there. I camped at Fort Wilderness this weekend and saw some done with bed liner. Mine looked much better.

8. jdamiano

jdamiano New Member

Nov 27, 2016
  9. Osprey92

Osprey92 New Member

Jun 2, 2016
    I have a 98 Coleman with the ABS roof that cracked up at all four corners, and down along where the awning attaches to the roof. But something no one else has mentions is that the front lip (at the tongue side) is warped and bowed outward. Nothing has been stored on it. Nothing has fallen on it. Now that humidity is kicking back in N Florida, I will be pealing off the ABS and replacing it with Grizzly Grip (truck liner stuff) and replacing the gasket around the whole top. Has anyone else had the warping problem?

10. GR456

GR456 New Member

May 15, 2017
    We have some sagging, but mostly cracking. We just repainted it with Grizzly Grip, but had some issues with the new black rollers they sent along with the kit. Just FYI to anyone else planning on this repair, we wish we'd have done the first coat with regular low/no shed paint rollers instead of trying to use their black texture rollers - those were a disaster and wasted a LOT of the product. We swithced to the regular rollers for the second coat and it went on like a dream - dang that hindsight! Hope this saves someone else from the heartache and wasted time/prep work - if you want to try their black rollers - hope it works for you, but make sure to have some 3/8" nap rollers on standby in case they don't work for you either...

Troy_grover and jedward65 like this.
  11. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    Ditto for us! Although we switched rollers within the first couple of minutes on the first coat.

12. AZSven

AZSven New Member

May 14, 2017
    Thanks for the insight, how much grizzly grip did you need for two coats?

13. Troy_grover

Troy_grover New Member

May 23, 2017
    Lehi, UT
    I have the original ABS roof from the early 1970s. It just cracked all the across but not wide. Do you think the MEK will work on this?

Attached Files:

14. tcrowe63

tcrowe63 New Member

May 31, 2017
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I have a 1996 Coleman Laramie that I purchased at a local auction. The inside is in great shape but, had an ABS roof that was cracked and pulling away in spots. I just completed the roof repair with "Grizzy Grip", and it came out really well. I didn't spray it, I used a roller and it seemed to come out really well. I have a new roof seal on order and will replace the old one that I took off the unit. Don't be afraid to do the work, its not that hard and the results are, like I stated really nice. I will post some pictures of the before and after later on. I think this repair will do the job and I will get a little extra life out of the camper. I bought it for a little weekender, so I am excited to try it out.

Attached Files:

Troy_grover likes this.
  15. Troy_grover

Troy_grover New Member

May 23, 2017
    Lehi, UT
    Hi, did you use course or fine Grizzly Grip on your roof?

16. tcrowe63

tcrowe63 New Member

May 31, 2017
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I used the fine, texture. The roller they send, started to fall apart on me. So I used a regular roller from Home Depot. Poured coating on the foam and spread with roller. I had enough coating to do four coats on the top. They say two is enough, but had plenty left over, so why not??

Troy_grover likes this.
  17. Troy_grover

Troy_grover New Member

May 23, 2017
    Lehi, UT
    Joe,
    I wish I would have found your post sooner! I made all the same mistakes. LOL. Thanks for all the tips!

18. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    you could have used the left over to coat the front and rear panels and the AC shroud. And maybe get some UV protection for them.

19. Troy_grover

Troy_grover New Member

May 23, 2017
    Lehi, UT
    Hey bud, how much GG did you use for your roof?

20. newenglander

newenglander New Member

Jun 22, 2017
    sorry, new to PUP

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017