Coleman ABS Roof

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by benfrench, Oct 11, 2011.

Have you had any issues with your Coleman ABS Roof?

1. Yes, sagging, I fixed it ..

15.4%
  2. Yes, sagging, I got rid of it ..

4.5%
  3. No, never had any issues ..

33.3%
  4. Yes, cracking, I fixed it ..

51.3%
  5. Yes, cracking, I got rid of it ..

10.9%
  1. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

May 19, 2010
    You might want to start a new post . Nobody will notice your request when Hijacking a post .

2. newenglander

newenglander New Member

Jun 22, 2017
    just joined and trying to figure that out, would you mind directing to the right spot. would really appreciate it

bols2Dawall likes this.
  3. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

May 19, 2010
    http://www.popupportal.com/forums/roof-floor-repair-maintenance.53/
    Sure no problem . Go to top tab and Click on forums then scroll down till you find the appropriate category
    , or you can use the search button above to see if this question has been asked ( and it has :) ) Good Luck

4. camping LAX family

camping LAX family New Member

May 7, 2017
    We have a 2001 coleman sun valley and after all these years it started cracking. No sagging maybe because we don't have air conditioning. We had Rhino lining applied. It was expensive but the rest of the trailer is in perfect condition and didn't want to get rid of it.

5. tcrowe63

tcrowe63 New Member

May 31, 2017
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Sorry It took so long to answer: I ordered one bed liner kit from them. To be honest 2 coats would have been good. But I used it all, so about 4 coats total on the top. Figured I had it, and it only last 30 day after they mix it, so I used it all.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  6. csaprince

csaprince New Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Hi. I just purchased a 97 Yukon. It had a large crack down the middle. Some delamination, but not too bad. I screwed down some of the loose roof, then fiber glassed the crack. I filled it with resin, put the cloth over the top of the crack, and poured more resin on. It hardened up nicely. Then I rolled on white Raptor truck bed liner. It looks pretty good.

Attached Files:

7. Sammy Girl

Sammy Girl New Member

Sep 27, 2016
    This looks fantastic! Great job. We have the same situation you did, but I had tried to patch it with silicon caulk, and now I have a horrible mess. I am leaning towards just ripping off the entire ABS roof and starting from scratch using Grizzly Grip, but I am worried that removing the air conditioner will be too big a job and that once I put a/c unit back on that it will leak. What do you think?

8. Bob Scanlan

Bob Scanlan New Member

May 21, 2017
    How did you repair the cracks prior to using grizzly grip?

9. Knoke

Knoke New Member

Apr 16, 2015
    I have a 2000 Coleman Cheyenne that had developed some stress cracks and following various threads in the forums, I did the normal crack repair method and drilled small holes at each end of the crack (unless it ended at an edge), routed out the crack with a Dremel tool and filled with the West System boat repair epoxy. The actual crack repair came out great and I am very happy with those results. However, I am not so happy with the Grizzly Grip bed liner I ordered to paint it with. I prepped and sanded, wiped down with Acetone (lightly), but when I tried to use the very coarse, black roller that came with the Grizzly Grip, I began to get huge lumps that would not brush out. I wisely chose to stop immediately and this morning I took the camper to my neighborhood auto body shop to have them spray the bed liner on. They wanted to use their own product but I told them I had $140.00 in the Grizzly Grip and another $40.00 in shipping and so they are going to use the Grizzly Grip. I will pick up the camper tomorrow morning and will post the results. I expect a good job from the shop. I suppose I could have went out a bought an undercoating spray gun and attempted it myself but I saw problems looming there also. The shop is charging me $350.00 for the spray job. So I will have well over $500.00 in the repair when finished. Not as good as if I did the painting myself but acceptable if it comes out like I think it will.
    Mike

ezakoske likes this.
  10. ezakoske

ezakoske Member

Nov 30, 2014
    $350 for the spray job seems like a great deal to me! The couple of places I've called so far have wanted $2500 to do the roof job. To me, that says they don't want the job...

11. Knoke

Knoke New Member

Apr 16, 2015
    I picked up the camper yesterday and am very happy with the results and I'm really glad I opted for the professional application of the Grizzly Grip. I was a maintenance supervisor for most of my life and have done a lot of different types of painting but in this case discretion prevailed. You need to know your limitations as they say. Yes, $350 is well worth the work they did. One thing that shows up with the paint job are all of the places where you didn't fair the repair patches. I have a few spots where if you look close you can see a slight outline of the groove I routed and filled. Probably no one but me can see them though. The guy on the spray gun said he had to cut the Grizzly Grip some with the Xylene I had given them. I re-mounted the 100 watt solar panel on the roof and will put the new gasket on today. Unfortunately the camper will have to sit for the winter now as our camping season here in Central Oregon is pretty much over. But it will be ready to go next Spring!