Coleman ABS Roof

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by benfrench, Oct 11, 2011.

Have you had any issues with your Coleman ABS Roof?

1. Yes, sagging, I fixed it ..

15.4%
  2. Yes, sagging, I got rid of it ..

4.5%
  3. No, never had any issues ..

32.8%
  4. Yes, cracking, I fixed it ..

50.3%
  5. Yes, cracking, I got rid of it ..

11.4%
  1. gigfy

gigfy New Member

Sep 25, 2017

Thank you very much! And also for the nice instructions.

https://2001colemanutahcp.blogspot.com/2016/08/prepping-for-new-roof.html

MrsSquid likes this.
  2. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    You're welcome. : ) I was talking with my husband at lunch about this. He stressed that you really need to spend the time in the preparation. It's a pain, but you'll like the results.

3. Pjulm

Pjulm New Member

Mar 24, 2018
    I have a 2000 Coleman Utah pretty much got it for a steal. I am currently working on the flooring and 2 of the inner walls but the room is on my mind. The roof has alot of cracks I'm thinking of doing the pop up princess fix which is peeling off all the ABS and recoating the fiberglass with grizzly adheasive and abs pellets to make a new abs covering, I think it is sagging though. If i load some pictures can someone advise me? I really want to put my blood sweat and tears into it but only if it is going to be worth it

4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

You should start a new tread in the Restoration forum
    http://www.popupportal.com/forums/camper-restoration-projects.160/

5. HotelRoyale

HotelRoyale Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Sure, post some pics ... but if you got it for a song I'd say, yes, it's worth it to do the work ... if you're handy enough. The sag will be the hardest to deal with but if you've already got the roof down to the bones you're halfway there. I looked for your thread in the restoration section but didn't see it?

6. NiteRider

NiteRider New Member

May 3, 2018
    Ohio
    Have a 96 coleman fleetwood key west i recently acquired with roof sag/ desalination and cracking. I figured out how to fix the delamination and cracking but still mulling over the sag issue. Was thinking of running 2 pieces of angle iron across the top width wise and dropping some all thread down through the roof to a couple plates to draw the roof up (then seal it all like crazy) has anyone done anything similar?

7. jnc

The side walls need to be pulled back in. This will put the bow back in the roof.

8. NiteRider

NiteRider New Member

May 3, 2018
    Ohio
    Ah, ok. What's the slope on that? An inch or so drop from center to edge?

9. jnc

I will try to get you a measurement off of mine but dont know how similar they are.

10. Jml96sv

Jml96sv Member

Feb 19, 2017

May I ask how you fixed the delamination? Do you have A/C?

11. NiteRider

NiteRider New Member

May 3, 2018
    Ohio
    I'm hoping to get around to doing that this weekend. Im going to use gorrilla glue to repair the delamination. I have started a new thread in the roof/floor repair section and I'll try and post some detailed pics of the full roof repair.
    Edit: yes I do have an a/c I think that's what made the roof sag so much to begin with

12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Question, I just got , and have not towed home a 2000 Colman Westlake. It has crazing but no delamination. Is it best to remove and grizzly grip or is this another repair? Is it possible to inject gorilla glue under the top and then put on the grizzly grip? Just wondering?

13. jnc

I have been needing to do some kind of ABS repair for 4 years now. So I have done a lot of reading on this subject. Many folks make a 50/50 mixture of ABS & Methyl Ethyl Ketone (M.E.K). This turns into a Slurry to fill the cracks. Sometimes they will go over these repairs with the GG. Others remove the whole roof & fill any voids in the foam with Bondo than cover with GG. This is the method I would do if I had the cash. As for injecting glue underneath the ABS it has also been done. Good Luck and Dont forget we will need to see some photos of your project.

14. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I'll start a thread when I get going on it. So pthers can learn from my mistakes, lol . Thanks for the info.

jnc likes this.
  15. PUPLizCA

PUPLizCA New Member

Jun 22, 2018
    California
    034BE6B4-1BDF-4ACB-8023-86D6E2C01DF6.jpeg 028CEDF6-5A87-47E0-B25E-97897D719FC0.jpeg Is this a sign of Delaminating? Also I am thinking these bars were installed for support.

16. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    It does look that way but there might be more going on then we can see, bars were probubly put in to fix a sag issue. I don't see cracks and the roof looks repainted. So this might be the worse that it gets. Hard to tell

17. PUPLizCA

PUPLizCA New Member

Jun 22, 2018
    California
    The

The roof has been repaired with MEK and repainted. But I won’t be able to attach an awning or bike rack which are two things I wanted. I have a ez up and my ex is making me a bumper so I can use a bike rack sowe solved the problem. But I would like to make the roof look better. They didn’t even remove the gasket when they repaired it so there is paint all over it.

18. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    I can't think of anything else that would look like that.
    Don't think so, those are most likely to fit racks, possibly for bikes. If it was to combat sag, the the tubing would run front to back.
    Painted with what? If you don't mind drilling holes and sealing them, you can use a metal awing rail.

19. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I think you may be right, it dosent look as if the bars reach far enough across, the factory supports they added run that way, mine has one on the inside. Some bought a second one, was thinking that it was a attempt to combat sag that was maybe pushing the sides out. Lime a collar tie. Only person that really knows is the person that put them in.

20. PUPLizCA

PUPLizCA New Member

Jun 22, 2018
    California
    It not a smooth feeling finish almost like flat wall paint. They didn’t take off the gasket so it’s chipping off. I’m afraid to drill into it. Then if I do it will start to chip away. If and when I redo the roof I want to remove everything so it’s completely covered. Thanks!