Coleman Columbia Corner Caps

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Lucylacy, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Lucylacy

Lucylacy New Member

Nov 21, 2018
    I need to repair one of these end caps.

Any idea how I will know what to buy online?
    I have a 1989 Columbia

If I repair all 4, are they hard to remove?

Attached Files:

2. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Lucylacy

Lucylacy New Member

Nov 21, 2018
    Great thanks, I was looking there but thought I'd get some advice too.

4. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    Good question, LucyLacy. You see those screws -- about 6 of them per corner piece? You will need to take those out. Battery operated drill with a Phillips head screwdriver bit on it works wonders. The screws might be reusable, or might look too gunky for you to want to screw them back in.
    Use stainless steel screws if you replace them. Be sure to get the same length as the originals at your local hardware store. There might also be some caulking if the former owner put around the edges of the pieces. Just a nice little utility knife used very carefully will help remove that gunk.

Then you take those new corners, screw them in with your new-or reused screws, and away you go. Go for it, you can do this! Not a big deal.

5. Lucylacy

Lucylacy New Member

Nov 21, 2018
    WOW!! Great info, thanks for all the tips

6. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    I would be concerned you possibly have water intrusion on those corners. Look at the inside corners carefully. The water doesn't do much to the styrofoam, but it can sure make a mess out of the very thin ply that is glued to inside of the styro. I've replaced both front and back end interior ply, requires some clamps, good adhesive, patience to scrape the old bad stuff off-- etc. Let us know how it goes.

7. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    Time to get this done. Supplies are in place. $20 for the hardware store supplies plus $20 worth of Dicor. You'll see-- if I succeed. Hardest part was finding some wood I wouldn't have to rip to proper width. These "grade stakes" were almost correct width, perfect depth, and will cut to correct length.
    Time to get out there-- a perfect, cloudy day but rain on the way tomorrow!
    supplies for reno1 roof fan.JPG