Coleman Lantern

Discussion in 'Lighting, Interior and Exterior' started by Nate W, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Nate W

Nate W New Member

Dec 15, 2017
    SE Ohio
    It's funny what little things make lifelong memories. One thing I can remember from camping with my dad when I was 5 years old was the sound of a coleman lantern running. Every time I hear it I go back to those years. I picked these up off of craigslist for $50. 228 lantern and 425 stove, circa 1964. Time to go make some memories with my 5 year old boy. lantern stove.JPG

Katskamper, kcsa75, cyndib and 9 others like this.
  2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We didn't camp when I was a kid, so my first time camping was in my 20s. Still, I've always been fascinated with Coleman stoves and lanterns, and we use them every trip.

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I have the 1968 Coleman 228 that my grandpaprents bought new. I was born in 1968. I was literally sucking a bottle by the light of that thing...lol.. It is the only lantern my parents and grandparents had. They shared it for years. We kept it in it's now raggity cardboard box to protect it.

IMAG1891~2.jpg

jnc and BelchFire like this.
  4. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    I love Coleman lanterns. My dad has a two mantel model from the early 80's. I'm planning on absconding with it. I have two other Coleman lanterns myself. I'm afraid if I start buying them at yard sales, I may never stop.

rich2 and kcsa75 like this.
  5. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    I never stop buying then. I have a pickup load of lantens, stoves, and heaters.

One of my prized lanterns is this 1950 model with its original glass. I bought it in a metal case for a whopping 20 bucks.

IMAG1892~2.jpg

rich2, Byrd_Huntr, jnc and 1 other person like this.
  6. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    I like that one. It would definitely be a prize.

7. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    Thanks. Its almost too nice to use. It has been a display piece in my living room for years.

My current favorite is this kerosene model. I find the lighting process fascinating...lol.

IMAG1899.jpg

8. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    I'd love to find a nice kerosene lamp. The lighting process reminds me of lighting my MSR whisperlite stove. Got to pre heat it first, right?

9. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    Yep, you squirt alcohol in a little cup at the base of the generator and light it to heat the generator.

10. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    You guys are making my vision blurry. My father died this past August and I asked my sister if I could have his lantern. I have one of my own, but just wanted the one he used when he took me camping. I also have his Milspec, but it's in poor shape. xxx; those are really nice lanterns.

11. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Active Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Hampshire UK
    I love that hiss those lamps make, I've got to reseal ours as I can't pressurise it.

12. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Norwalk CT
    I feel exactly the same way the OP talked about. Whenever I hear that lantern light and hiss and even the smell of the burning fuel it takes me right back to being a kid around the campgrounds with that lantern guiding us back to our site after a long day playing with complete strangers who were our best friends.

Orchid likes this.
  13. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Mt Pleasant, MI
    Be careful, it's addicting :)

I needed a winter project this past year so I picked up an old beat up 228H in December. I stripped it down and rebuilt it, and then suddenly I had 3 more lanterns. :)

[​IMG]

Katskamper, xxxapache and kcsa75 like this.
  14. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    I have a small collection of Coleman lanterns, dating from the late 40's up to current issue... we take several of them with us every time we camp. I rotate thru them, so they all get some use.

20170826_205519.jpg

15. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo
    After many years of service I am replacing both of my 60's model Coleman lanterns for the new Coleman Northstar lanterns. One in dual fuel and the other propane.

16. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo
    I have a real old chrome Coleman with a Formica lamp shade. I have never used it though.

17. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I'm another who needs the hiss and smell to making it real camping. DH, having no childhood memories of camping, has purchased propane appliances, but NEVER giving up my gas ones. He doesn't want to fool with them, but I do.

18. thethird152

Feb 1, 2015
    Mt Pleasant, MI
    If you feel like parting with it or your two 60's lanterns, I'm all ears :)

I really enjoy tinkering with these older lanterns.

19. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo

Sorry but nope. Was my grandpas. Ill freshen her up some day. My current (70's 220) one is due for a rebuild so im pulling it out of the camping box. Id be ticked off if I dropped it or broke the old globe. A new one I would care less about and the Northstar looks to be very rugged.

thethird152 likes this.
  20. thethird152

Feb 1, 2015
    Mt Pleasant, MI
    I don't blame you at all, just figured I'd throw it out there in case you were going to craigslist them or something :)

soft 17 likes this.