coleman roof goes up and down 3 times great, then...

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by kcormier19, Sep 11, 2018.

1. kcormier19

kcormier19 Member

Sep 12, 2017
    massachusetts
    Before i break something important, I thought I would ask what to look out for.
    1999 Coleman Cheyenne has been sitting for a couple for a coupe of years before i bought it. I raised and lowered the roof fine before I bought it, and raised and lowered the roof two more times with no issues when I got it home weeks later. 4th time, started to crank and after roof was up about 1/2 way, the crank was much harder to turn so i stopped before something broke. I was able to lower roof fine. The crank is in the lower rear of the camper. I checked the left cables and pulley's and all look clean and not worn but I didn't see any lubrication on them either, not sure if there should be or not.
    Also crank handle does not come off of the camper. i cant tell if it was welded on or just stuck on but it seems on there permanently. Should it be?
    20180909_112432.jpg

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Under your camper us a wiffletree under a black protective cover. It essentially looks like one big massive screw. This screw should be greased annually. When I bought my camper I found a mouse built a nest in the compartment so had a nasty surprise when it fell on me as I opened it. There are lots of YouTube videos on how to grease the coleman lift. As far as the crank, this should be removed unless the prior owner made it permanent. On my unit my stabilizers also use the same crank so it would have to be removed.

jnc likes this.
  3. kcormier19

kcormier19 Member

Sep 12, 2017
    massachusetts
    Thanks for the advice, i did think of the whiffle tree too but only discounted it because it worked so well before, but under the camper i will go. And double thanks for the heads up on something falling out of it on me.
    And as for the crank, the handle for the stabilizers is in the cabinet under the door so it looks like the crank for the lift is on there permanently.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    The pully system for the cables can be lubricated also. Look for them while under the pup. I would try not to get it on the cables.

5. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

The crank doesn't belong in there. I would put some effort into trying to get it out.

Orchid likes this.
  6. kcormier19

kcormier19 Member

Sep 12, 2017
    massachusetts
    i kind of figured that would be the right answer but i will have to tke a closer look to see if it is wended on there or if it does some apart somehow. This weekend i will also be looking over all of the cables, pulleys, and lifters, as well as the whiffle tree.

jnc likes this.
  7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Our crank handle has to be hit with a rubber mallet to go in and out. It's very tight.

8. kcormier19

kcormier19 Member

Sep 12, 2017
    massachusetts
    it appears it was the same situation with mine, a couple of hits and it came off

Orchid likes this.