Coleman stepper door hinge repair

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by BajaPup, Aug 9, 2012.

1. mjsny

mjsny New Member

Aug 14, 2013
    I know this is an old post but many thanks bajapup. I used your instructions for a 2010 Coleman Utah and it worked great.

I had to order the parts because I couldn't find them locally. I have couple of extra sets so if anyone has a broken hinge let me know.

2. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Dec 28, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    tagging

3. MIlover

MIlover Member

Jul 31, 2012
    I know this thread is several months old, but I want to fix our stepper door and have had difficulty finding these parts, both locally and online. Any suggestions for sources would be much appreciated!

4. mjsny

mjsny New Member

Aug 14, 2013
    I just PM'd you. I have a spare I can send you.

5. MIlover

MIlover Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Yet another example of why campers on the Portal are awesome. Thanks Skidz! [:)C]

6. BaysideJim

BaysideJim Member

May 5, 2015
    Denver, Colorado
    I realize this is an old threats but it is on topic so here it goes. the hinge rivets my step popped last night. 2010 Coleman bayside. in addition the step is now slightly bent and will not close properly. I need to either bend it back (frame shop?) or drill out the holes on the frame to lower it 1/8" any ideas ?

7. dprus

dprus New Member

Jun 28, 2015
    I need to make this same repair on my 2010 Coleman Yuma. I think I'm going to have to order the parts online in some cases and pick up the rest at Lowe's. Here's what I have so far:

1. T-Nuts: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L1LBW4U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER (these are expensive! $11.08 each)

2. Pack of 30 screws: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HYM0YKI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

3. #8 washer: http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&productId=3013082&cId=detail

Where I'm confused right now is the washers. I see I need a #8 washer and a 1/4" washer. However they appear to be the same thing? Can someone explain to me (or send me a link to) the correct washers?

Thanks!

8. turnerkjt

turnerkjt New Member

Aug 16, 2015
    I went to my local Ace Hardware and got 2 sets of everything for $1.98. The only issue was that they did not have #8 nuts, so I had to go with #10 which does not fit through the opening on the hinges - however it seems to be working just fine. I'll check another ACE for #8's - but at least until I find the correct size - I am functioning without having to put a nut and bolt into the hinge each time I open the camper.

9. zookept

zookept New Member

Aug 22, 2011
    So just getting a rivet gun and putting in a new rivet is not possible ? it has to be a pro rivet gun from a body shop or something ? and the rivets are what aircraft rivets ?

thank you for all the details in the post

10. zookept

zookept New Member

Aug 22, 2011
    I did this repair today and it seems to catch now and then.... Maybe I need to try different washers to get it thinner .....

11. JBousselot

JBousselot Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Can you describe where you notice the hinge catching and where it catches on the door assembly? Shown in this message thread the T-nut is on the inside of the door assembly (toward where your feet step) and the round head of the philips screw is facing the frame of the trailer where the door closes. When I did my repair, there wasn't enough room for the screw head and washer to face outward and it would catch sometimes requiring me to drop the door down and try again. See the pictures in the previous thread.
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=47713.0;all

My repair is now going on seven years and is holding up nicely. I check it every few trips to make sure I'm not shearing off the screw and t-nut.

12. zookept

zookept New Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Yes it appears the screw head catches every now and then but dropping down the door a few times gets it to go now and then .... It works just not perfect. I might replace it with a new hinge after the season but for now it's a quick cheap fix.

Attached Files:

13. JBousselot

JBousselot Member

Apr 2, 2011
    I considered nylon washers, but after seeing the limited space for that hinge, I went with just metal. This hinge doesn't pivot under a load so the nylon washers just consumed space.
    If you remove them, does that give you enough clearance on your trailer door? I'm guessing that is a nylon washer under the screw head based on the picture. I tried to "zoom and enhance" but I remembered this isn't a TV show about crime or espionage.

14. BaysideJim

BaysideJim Member

May 5, 2015
    Denver, Colorado
    I did the same fix on my bayside... but i used a very thin metal washer by the screw and a nylon on between the two hinges...it still hangs up on occasion. I did find a guy that sells a version of the hinges that he makes... I think on eBay Hope that helps...Next time I have my camper out I will post a picture.

15. bbt95762

bbt95762 New Member

May 14, 2017
    ours just broke today - I'll be giving this a try - nice clean looking repair.
    unfortunately, the locking mechanism also got jammed - I think from door flex as people still used the door with only one support.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Brian.

16. rhythmdaddy

rhythmdaddy New Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Thank you very much for posting this repair. I used it to repair my 2011 Coleman Santa Fe. I couldn't get ahold of the t-nuts so I bought ones for wood that had barbs. I carefully bent the barbs down and it worked!

17. Gone-Pupping

Gone-Pupping New Member

Jul 6, 2018
    I have a '99' Westlake that popped the rivet at the door last night. It appears that the door has been worked on previously as the rivets at the frame have been replaced with screws. I removed that side screws last night but cannot seem to get the black metal "L" frame piece off without bending it. What am I missing? I am referring to where the lower half of the folding hinge connects to the door.