Colorado's Dream Ranch and Boondock Rally, June 2010!

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by Kim Ciara, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

Jul 5, 2009
    Colorado mountains!
    [CO] A Colorado Rally that is the Best of Both Worlds... [USA]
    Where: Boondocking (NO ammenities) or
    The Dream Ranch Campground (Elec/Water) at Taylor Park Trading Post
    taylorparktradingpost.com
    CG Map: See Below
    When: June 23rd-27th
    Who: Everyone
    Reservations: (970) 641-8911 for the Campground and NO Reservations Needed for Boondocking
    Rates: $29 per night (2 adults) Reservations can be made starting on Jan 06, 2010 Coordinators: Kim Ciara and 14erfam

Taylor Park is nestled near the top of the Rocky Mountains at an elevation of 9400 feet. The Taylor Park Trading Post is located 1/2 mile from the east shore of Taylor Reservoir and abounds with magnificent views of the Sawatche Range. The area around the resort is ideal for camping, hiking, motorcycling and ATV-ing, fishing, hunting, photography, cross-country skiing, and snowmobiling. Taylor Park is an excellent place to come to relax in the great outdoors and enjoy any outdoor recreation.
    [​IMG]
    • Camping • Electric/Water/Sewer • Hiking • Motorcycling • ATV • Fishing • Hunting •
    • Gift Shop • Photography • Cross-country Skiing • Snowmobiling •

General Store- variety of convenience items including groceries, as well as all the necessary camping supplies, fishing tackle, and other miscellaneous items needed to enjoy all the recreational activities in the area

Restaurant- diverse menu with all the necessary good, old-fashion, down-home cooking to keep all the wives, bachelors, & back woods enthusiasts from having to waste any precious vacation time cooking.
    [​IMG]

Campground Members Confirmed So Far:
    14erfam, NeedToRoam, Nitty Gritty, Jeff and Anne

Boondockers Confirmed So Far:
    Kim Ciara, Ogeer3, Mosbyranger, george80817, coloradoStef​

2. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

Jul 5, 2009
    Colorado mountains!
    Re: Rally! Any Interest?? Emphasis: Fly Fishing at Taylor Park, CO June or July

Photos of Taylor Park Trading Post CG:
    http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/573754013eCTnlh

3. Nitty Gritty

Nitty Gritty I love RVing!!

Jun 18, 2007
    Tornado Alley, Oklahoma
    Re: Rally! Any interest camping at Taylor Park, CO June or July 2010

I am very interested in camping with you all! My husband will be thrilled that I am planning a flyfisherman's extravaganza! Lol! Have we set any dates in stone yet? I have a rally planned for MidCon 2010 in mid July on a different popuppers forum. I am really hoping this rally is set for June. It will make the perfect father's day trip for my husband. The pictures are AMAZING! Thank you so much for sharing them! I am really looking forward to planning this trip with you all!

4. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

Jul 5, 2009
    Colorado mountains!

Hi Angela!
    Kim, here.
    You're the very first to show interest in a rally in Colorado! *smile*
    No dates are set, yet, but we can do June! Escpecially if this means you and your husband can come!
    Keep reading and following this post, and hopefully, we can get others on-board.
    And if NOT! Then heck! We'll have Popup Portal's SMALLEST rally! WOO HOO! But I DO hope others show interest!
    Thanks for the reply/interest!
    Sincerely,
    Kim

5. 14erfam

14erfam Member

Oct 12, 2008

Hi Kim! Count us in! We're very familiar with Taylor. Lots of 14ers in the area too. Many of the Collegiate Peaks are 15-30min from Taylor.

I tried to get some folks together this summer for a CO Rally, but it didn't work out. I think it was too late of notice for a lot of folks. So thanks for planning ahead! Taylor and Estes were the two places I was thinking of.

Anyway, love to be a part of it! :)

6. maromeo

maromeo Member

Jan 6, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ

Kim,

Sounds possibly doable, how is that for definite. LOL. This year we are out of school prior to Memorial Weekend. So June is good for us too.

Do you think towards later June might be a bit warmer or is snow not much of an issue there in June. We are not quite familiar with at area but we may make a family vacation out of the rally.

Mary Romeo

7. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

Jul 5, 2009
    Colorado mountains!

Hiya's 14'ers!
    I forgot to mention the mountain climbing at Taylor Park!
    Keep an eye on this thread... things seem to be developing quickly! Probably within a couple of weeks, dates will be posted... most likely mid-to-late JUNE 2010.
    Estes Park is beautiful, as well... it's most spectacular in the fall, when the elk come home to roost. So to speak. heheh
    Glad you're interested!
    Kim

8. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

Jul 5, 2009
    Colorado mountains!

Hi Mary!

Looks like mid-to-late June for the rally! Yes, it should be warmer... nights still get chilly, but that's why God made furnaces for popups! *smile* Doubt it will get *that* cold, really. Weather should be LOVELY!

There are many MANY family things to do there...

Whitewater rafting/kayaking... there are many outfitters that will put you all in a raft or kayaks, and take you on a wild trip (guides are with you to ensure safety!) down the Taylor River. The Gunnison River isn't too far away, as well... I think about 30 minutes or so from Taylor Park.

FISHING!... fishing of all natures (lakes, beaver ponds, rivers, reservior, creeks, streams, brooks).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Both images are of the Taylor River, below the dam. LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT MONSTER RAINBOW! WOO HOO! At some point in the not-too-distant future I'll make a fishing-specific post... where the really big fish are, what they like to eat, the kind of flies or lures you'll need, and so on! WOO HOO!

Taylor Park is a hot-spot for ATV'ers, motorcycles (the off-road varieties)... Taylor Park Trading Post rents both!!! Lots of trails in the mountains, and although I've not done it, I have spoken with the ATVer's and they say the views they discover are phenomenal...

Hiking, mountain-biking... lovely place for both! Forests and mountains to explore...

Campfires and Starlight! Stargazing... whilst listening to the coyotes serenade ya's! There's not a lot of artificial light in Taylor Park... outside of the campgrounds you can see bazillions of stars!

Historic Tin Cup! During the summer time they host dances and potlucks and sometimes presentations from people who have done historic research about the area. I'll try to get more information on what Tin Cup has going on this summer. There's a general store there, and a great little restraunt with a pond in front of it that is just sooooo cool!

Panning for gold? I know it was done a hundred years before... you can probably still do it... Taylor Park was a gold-strike area, and I think that is what started everything there.

Anyway, keep an eye on this thread. Things seem to be moving quickly, and details should be hammered out within a couple of weeks... at least enough details to begin planning!

Hope to see ya's there!

Kim

9. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

Jul 5, 2009
    Colorado mountains!
    Someone else's photos of Taylor Park!

My apologies to the person who owns this link... it's a public "Webshots" link... it has some GORGEOUS photos of Taylor Park.
    If after having seen, I'm certain you'll want to be part of the Colorado Rally in June 2010!
    http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2981713260065406665Irueow
    Thanks, dude, for the great photos! (Whoever you are!)

10. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

Jul 5, 2009
    Colorado mountains!
    Hatching Chart

Hatching Chart for fly-fishermen for the Taylor River!
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/6/3/2465272/Taylor%20River%20Hatch%20Chart.JPG
    Green Drakes... I've had TONS of luck with them! Parachute Adams and Madame-X are hotties, too!
    Mysis Shrimp patterns are what you need to catch the monster trout below the dam at Taylor Reservior!

11. Nitty Gritty

Jun 18, 2007
    Tornado Alley, Oklahoma

We are looking forward to this rally! Printed out the hatch chart! [:D]

12. 14erfam

14erfam Member

Oct 12, 2008

There is also a moderate to serious 4x4 pass going north our of Taylor Reservior that goes into Aspen. Its very beautiful. Aspen is a nice expensive celebrity/ shopping/dining/ jazz hangout in the summer. Makes a great day trip if you're in for a bumpy ride.

I've done it once in my Dakota, but would recommend a slightly smaller 4x4. Toyos and jeeps would probably be fine.

13. Nitty Gritty

Jun 18, 2007
    Tornado Alley, Oklahoma

It all sounded great till you said slightly smaller 4X4.. [:(]

14. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

Jul 5, 2009
    Colorado mountains!

I think most 4WD vehicles can get through that pass. Just take it slow and easy. From what I've heard, I wouldn't be trying to get through Cumberland Pass in a Cadillac. *laff* Nor would I try pulling a 5th wheel over it, either.

15. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

Jul 5, 2009
    Colorado mountains!

Cumberland Pass info: http://bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm#cumberland

16. Nitty Gritty

Jun 18, 2007
    Tornado Alley, Oklahoma

Our only obstacle would be width.. our vehicle is wide... we can go through anything just can't fit through everything. [:D]

17. 14erfam

14erfam Member

Oct 12, 2008

No, Cumberland is a cake walk by comparison. Cumberland also goes between Tin Cup and Pitkin.

Taylor Pass goes from north of the lake up and over into Aspen. Its a jaw dropping beautiful ride, but definitely leave the full sizers at the campground.

Nitty Gritty- a hummer could easily make the climb traction and clearance wise. But it gets pretty narrow in places, and there are some pretty tight hair pin curves. There is also a section that traverses some pitched water crossings and drainage flow. My wife referred to this as climbing a !@#$% waterfall! Again, beautiful, but not for the faint of heart or "non technical" drivers.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=118

18. Nitty Gritty

Jun 18, 2007
    Tornado Alley, Oklahoma

Holy you know whats! I doubt the hubby would be willing to take the ride around hair pin curves. I told him he might want to get some of that body armor for the Hummer...Lol! We'll see how brave he is when the time comes. Is it June yet? I'm ready to rally Colorado!

19. 14erfam

14erfam Member

Oct 12, 2008

Yeah Angela, if the hubby had a little jeep wrangler, he'd skamper right over it. I suppose if folks want to see Aspen, they could go out and around back over Cottonwood and up to Indpendence pass too. Its a much longer drive, but easy pavement all the way (except for the Taylor side of Cottonwood, but its just groomed dirt road).

I think they open Independence Pass around Memorial Day or so.

Bring on the CO rally!

20. george80817

george80817 New Member

[:D] Sounds Great to me!!!!!! Let us know the date so we can plan a vacation. [PU]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.