converter 12V output rectification recommendations

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by EdZilla, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    Yes it will charge and maintain the battery automatically. Its not a cheap converter. But now factor in the cost of a power supply, a battery maintained and the hassle of dealing with those items continuously. With a good converter all you do is plug in the pup and you're done. I will repeat if there's a wiring or connection problem a filter or a converter won't help. A bad connection or wiring problem may not show up on a continuity test. Do a voltage drop. http://www.fluke.com/fluke/uses/com...articlecategories/electrical/diagnosevoltdrop

2. EdZilla

EdZilla Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Denver
    Sorry, but that doesn’t make sense to me. Did you mean “which would have a new converter and not charge the battery.”?

3. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    no he's talking about one like this. I had already replaced the dc fuse panel in my original one because of power issues with one like this. when I replaced the converter I gutted my power center and used it as a ac breaker box. now my original one didn't have the staged charging and had a internal fuse that would pop if battery dropped below 11 volts. liked they had that protection but having to take it apart was a pain. I hoped they changed that by now, mine was from 1998. I have been known for over doing things but their usually bullet proof and easier to deal with later.

4. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    Converters before say 2000 mostly did not charge the battery when on shore power. Coleman for instance switched to a solid state unit in 99. Before that the only Colemans that did charge the battery were the big units like my Bayside, and it was an option.

I have replaced two converters in my pups, a Centurion 3000 in my Palomino and a Magnatek in my Coleman. In both cases, I used a WFCO 8740. Yes it's over kill ampwise but I have plenty to spare and, in the Coleman, I have empty DC circuits if I need them. All the fuses for the WFCO 8700 series are in the front, including the battery protection fuses.

5. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Why take 110VAC and run it through a converter to produce 12VDC, then turn around and run the 12VDC through an inverter to produce 110VAC ??

The simple solution, run your electronics directly from the 110V shore power.

6. EdZilla

EdZilla Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Denver
    I explained this in an above reply, but it bears repeating.

“The other question is also fair, and I️ should have explained. I️ wasn’t intending to use the inverter, it was just to test how some 12v electronic systems would respond to my converters 12v output when on shore power. Plugging in the inverter to my 12v source when on shore power and seeing that it did not work was verification that some 12V electronics would not work because there is something anomalous with the 12V from my converter when on shore power. “