Converter circuit breaker...

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Rik Peery, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Read somewhere awhile back about turning the pedestal(?) circuit breaker off before plugging/unplugging into 30 amp shore power, then switching it back on to prevent arcing/blown fuses; already plugged in to the house a couple times, no probs(I think), but didn't wanna hit the campground & have something blow...got a carton of extra various fuses last week...is there a labeled switch I can see to turn on/off, gonna open it up tomorrow to piddle when the wind dies down, Aliner Ranger 10...thanks in advance...

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    There should be a breaker on the pedestal at the CG, turn it off until plugged in then turn it back on ALSO Make sure that A/C, and all 120 V items etc. are off inside the unit prior to plugging the cord in.

Sjm9911 and Rik Peery like this.
  3. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Thanks much Niner, now if you'll tell me what "CG" is :)

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Camp ground

Rik Peery likes this.
  5. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I do the same thing here when hooking up to a PEDESTAL at the camp ground. I just flip the 30A Circuit Breaker in my case for my 30A SHore Power Cable...

[​IMG]
    Google image...

This will prevent some small arcing by just plugging something into the pedestal that might be pulling a load from inside my POPUP trailer.

I do the same thing when I disconnect from the pedestal...

You can use the MAIN CIRCUIT BREAKER on your 120VAC/!@VDC Power Distribution Panel inside your Trailer. It is much easier to to just flip the circuits mounted on the camp ground pedestal.

I upgraded my 120VAC/12VDC very simple Power Distribution setup in my 2008 model trailer to this WFCO 8900 Series unit. This panel house's all of my 120VAC Circuit Breakers and 12VDC Fuses for things installed in my POPUP trailer.

[​IMG]
    Google Image

My Power Distribution panel is mount near the floor just under the stove top unit as shown here in the photo...
    [​IMG]
    google image

If the Camp Ground pedestal receptacles look to be very old and well used I will also get my multimeter out and make 120AC measurement around the receptacle connections... If I don't see the correct 120VAC Voltages I will not hook up to the pedestal receptacle...

Here are two charts you can use to read the AC Voltages...

50AMP Service
    [​IMG]

30A/20A/15A Service
    [​IMG]
    NO SHOCK ZONE Images

You don't want to ruin your camping trip at the first get-go hehe...

I also have one of these 120VAC Plug In 120VAC Monitors that is neat as well to have... Shows the safe zone shown in green for the 120VAC coming from the Camp Ground pedestals. This is plugged into one of the 120VAC Receptacles inside my trailer... You can tell at glance as to what is going on... Ordered mine from AMAZON...

[​IMG]
    Google Image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Sjm9911 and Rik Peery like this.
  6. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Thanks much Roy, excellent description/explanation...just ordered one, thanks again...

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Good information!

Rik Peery likes this.
  8. JJLEBOATBABE

JJLEBOATBABE New Member

Jun 20, 2018

9. JJLEBOATBABE

JJLEBOATBABE New Member

Jun 20, 2018
    I am so glad you asked, as I was wondering also. lol Ahhh, the day will come that I am a seasoned camper....hopefully!

Rik Peery likes this.
  10. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Lol, don't think it has to do w/ camping experience, more along the lines of the trend to abbreviate everything, kinda like an urban dictionary; Army used acronyms big time, didn't realize it had spread...may be a list of 'em here on this site somewhere...remember, the only dumb question is the one I ask...:)

11. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Found this by nineoaks via the search, thought I'd seen something awhile back...
    [​IMG]
    nineoaks2004Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday
    Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    TV = Tow Vehicle
    To have a Wheel Jack depends on if you need to move the unit by hand. You can usually remove it and replace with a flat pipe with a flat piece, some wheels etc. have a pin or twist lock for removal, replacement.

Here are some common acronyms you may see

DH - Dear Husband
    DW - D@%m Woman or wife or dishwasher, depends on how much trouble you want to be in.
    BIL - brother in-law
    SIL - sister in-law
    TV - tow vehicle
    WDH - weight distrubuting hitch
    pup or PUP - pop up trailer or pop up portal.
    Pal. - Palomino (manufacture)

You can do a search for acronyms is the search section and get many more