Converting Dual Tanks to HP and LP

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by cahillprc2, May 11, 2017.

1. cahillprc2

cahillprc2 Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Catonsville, Md
    I currently have dual tanks on own Somerset Off-Road pup that both go thru a low pressure regulator with a manual switch to change tanks. We rarely use the pup furnace. How difficult would it be to change one of the tanks to use with a HP stove on the side of the camper? Also can I use a quick connect at the end of HP line to for hooking up stove? Last question, should I use a threaded plug to close the open side of the regulator or is the manual switch pretty much "fail safe"? Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated.

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    If you HP stove has it's own regulator then you only need to feed it directly from the tank.
    Quick connects are for low pressure.
    Wouldn't hurt to close an open fitting.

3. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Just get a tee and an extension hose to hook up to your stove outside. That would be the cheapest option I think.

4. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    I use the
    Marshall Extend-a-Flow Adapter
    between one tank and the auto change over regulator to run my Camp Chef hi pressure Mountain stove. If you put it on the primary tank you have to move it if the primary runs out. On the secondary you are pulling from both tanks.

5. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    LP uses quick connect.
    HP uses a threaded connection, ex coleman propane canisters.

6. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    That doesn't sound right, the whole purpose of a changeover valve is to isolate the tanks to keep from emptying both tanks

I am not familiar with the Somerset line, are you talking about a built-in stove or a standalone stove. If stand alone, the Marshall adapter suggested by Steve and a long hose would allow you leave the tank connected to the trailer and have the stove on the side of the PUP.

7. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    So you are disconnecting one of your tanks from the manual switch-over regulator. It would be a good idea to plug the opening. That leaves you one tank serving the PUP through the regulator and a spare tank just sitting there. To connect a high pressure stove that DOES NOT have a built-in a regulator to that spare tank, you will need something like this (with the stove end fitting to match your stove):

https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Propane-Adjustable-Regulator-QCC-1/dp/B00NO1O6ZC

To connect a high pressure stove, such as a standard Coleman stove that uses 1# bottles, to that spare tank, you will need something like this:

https://www.etrailer.com/Propane/Camco/CAM59825.html

Hose length optional, no quick disconnects.

8. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
  9. cahillprc2

cahillprc2 Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Catonsville, Md
    Thanks everyone. This HP/LP stuff is a little confusing to us newbs. So essentially, the pressure in the 1# tanks is the same as the 20# tanks. Is that correct? And everything in the camper runs off of low pressure coming from the regulators on the big tanks ? I wouldn't be considering all this but would like to be as frugal and "green" as possible by not using the 1# bottles.

10. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    Yes, a 20# cylinder generally has the same pressure as a 1# bottle and everything inside the PUP is low pressure.

Stoves, lanterns, heaters, grills, etc. that use a 1# bottle have built-in regulators. Some stoves and grills are high pressure but don't have a built-in regulator so the propane has to go through a high pressure regulator before going into the device. High pressure regulators are adjustable and are red like this: https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-Pressure-Regulator-Control/dp/B000C1Z1F6

The propane tree and tank tee mstrbill mentioned are good options if you want to connect more than one device to the tank at the same time. The tree is a really good option if you use a lantern that normally mounts on top of a 1# bottle.

As an option to carrying several 1# bottles or lugging a 20# cylinder around camp or running long hoses, smaller propane cylinders are available such as a 5# or 11# that are refillable.

11. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX