Coupler Locks...

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Rik Peery, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Wondering what type of lock if any y'all use as a deterrent for your ball hitch; my Ranger 10 has the 2" a frame coupler w/ a raise & "pull back" system on the ball mount; thanks ahead of time...

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Padlock or hitch pin with chain.

xxxapache and Rik Peery like this.
  3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    padlock while parked.

4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Padlock is all I use. If they want it bad enuff no lock will stop them.

5. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo
    Just a Master lock pin made for trailers. $5 from walmart.

Rik Peery likes this.
  6. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Thanks for the responses, already had a wheel lock & keep it under the car port here at home, considering keeping it near the lake at a pal's enclosed locked storage lot later this year for a few months next to his restaurant until December...

7. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

If you are really worried about theft you can take a tire or two off & or put the Stabs down. The harder you make it the less chance of anything happening.

Rik Peery likes this.
  8. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Yepper, not that worried, as he has cams & never had a prob, but good idea under certain circumstances; recently read where an Aliner had been taken in front of someone's home, crazy arse wolrd we live in...

9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    I got a hitch and coupler lock set from O'Reilly's. Use the same key. Figured since my FnR is parked right out front I wanted something to make it less easy.

Rik Peery likes this.
  10. jeicher

jeicher Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Coupler locks will lock the coupler, but if someone wants to steal your camper they just hook up the safety chains to the back of their truck and away they go. a good chain through the wheel and over the axle with a pad lock is a better deterrent.

Grousetales and Rik Peery like this.
  11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    If someone wants to steal your camper, they will come armed with bolt cutters for either chains or padlocks.

soft 17 and Rik Peery like this.
  12. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    My purpose is just to eliminate the casual theft of convenience. There are a lot of other trailers in my area - if mine is just slightly more difficult to steal then it's safer.

xxxapache, soft 17 and Rik Peery like this.
  13. DMichael

DMichael New Member

Apr 4, 2017
    It was our trailer that was stolen. We had a lockable pin through the ball mount and someone cut it with a bolt cutter and drove away with it when it was parked in front of our house. Now, we store it at gated secure storage lot with a couple lock that fits up into the ball mount and goes over the top with a hardened steel loop (doesn't appear bolt cutter cuttable, at least not easily.) When we have it at home prepping for a trip, we put it in our driveway, still use the tongue lock, put the car right up next to it, lock one of the safety chains to the car, and put it up on the bal tire leveler. Like people said above, if someone REALLY wants your trailer, they can take it, but we're hoping to at least slow the process down and make it not worth the effort.

14. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I use a case hardened long shaft lock, Where I live I am not worried about someone stealing my unit but it is for me when I hook up to it. Pins, nuts and bolts have a way of (not often) working loose and this is for sure not working loose. I had a boat trailer that came off my truck, I was going slow the run away was stopped by the neighbors mail box I re-hooked installed the lock and we went fishing

Rik Peery likes this.
  15. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

It's a level of security. If someone wants in your house they will break a window or kick in a door, yet we still have locks.

terry1419 and Rik Peery like this.
  16. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Sorry to hear, making it hard to take is all one can do for sure; a few years ago, thieves were stealing trailers/grills/etc out of neighborhoods here, many in broad daylight, went on for almost a month, never did catch the culprits I don't think...

17. e_lizzle

e_lizzle New Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Rik Peery likes this.
  18. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Looks like a good one for sure, thanks for the link; have a wheel lock I use & live on a ridge w/ one way up, one way down, nary a prob in 24 yrs, BUT...making a drive away difficult is the goal, & every little bit helps...pal has a little alarm he sets in his kayak when he's away from his truck, has it cabled locked, but somebody set it off in his neighborhood one evening, said it's loud as hay, but a good deterrent...

19. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    All the lock is for is to keep a honest man honest and peace of mind. If someone wants it a lock isn't going to stop them.

Rik Peery likes this.
  20. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    I see it as levels of protection:

No locks and anyone will take it.
    Simple locks and alarms will deter "opportunity" thieves "hey look at that, think the door's unlocked?". (Statistically teens and young adults).
    Beyond that, you are trying to stop professional thieves and/ or subject matter thieves (the ones looking specifically for what you have). These are the folks with tools to do the job and/or who are willing to risk a lot to get what they want.

How much effort you put in is dependent upon your risk assessment for that level of theft.

tfischer and Rik Peery like this.