CPAP First Time Camping

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by BigRedTruck, Jul 9, 2016.

1. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

Jan 23, 2011

Thanks for the lessons learned. The bigger inverter would be nice. And I agree, the smokey CPAP sound just fine now!

2. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Mar 3, 2005
    I bought a Group 31 AGM battery (105 amp hour) to power 2 CPAPS without the humidifiers since my wife and I use them. We mostly dry camp and do run it thru an 400 watt inverter. I will be getting the 12 volt cables for the cpaps to run it direct to save the power loss thru the inverter. I also bought the Go Power 120 watt suitcase solar panel to charge the battery and have my Champion 2000 or 3100 watt inverter generators to charge with on cloudy and rainy days. I also have two 6 volt (220 amp hours) Interstate deep cycle batteries
    that I use for our TT.

3. Camp Addict

Camp Addict Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Las Vegas
    BigRedTruck
    Good luck with the VA. I tried and they said NO. They didn't even think about it. In my case anyway. I just cut my cord before the converter and put male terminals on it. I got some 18 gauge lamp cord, put female terminals on one end and a connector from our solar kit like this upload_2017-4-14_14-47-28.png on the other end. I just plug it into where the solar panel plugs in before bed. And of course, no humidifier as it's too much of a power drain.

Attached Files:

BigRedTruck likes this.
  4. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Ok, this is on my bucket list! Thank you for posting!

5. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Active Member

May 22, 2013
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    I have the ResMed as well. Never thought about removing the humidifier, I just usually have it set to 0. I bought the 12v car adapter many years ago, and actually used it once when hammock camping with some friends (I tied one end of the hammock to a tree, the other to my truck bed and had the cpap in the passenger seat - somewhat comical, but it worked). Now, I have added a 3 port accessory block (with separate USB charger port) inline to my trailer, vampiring into the water pump power feed and mounted under the lip of the countertop. I also take my portable jumpstarter as a backup for longer camping trips. We recently camped the entire week before Memorial Day, and the battery held up with both cpap and heater running until ~3am Thursday night (I have a 45W solar array I put on the roof when parked - helps keep the battery charged). After switching to the jumpstarter, I slept through until almost 9am (I'm usually up at first light). My friend had a Honda 2000i, so we ran an extension cord and charged up off that, then were good to go until Sunday pack out time.

6. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    I have been on cpap for years funny I never take mine camping whether here or Europe. I have been gone up to 2 ms without one!

7. Michaeln

Michaeln New Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Avery, California
    Using the CPAP mfg's DC cord is way more efficient than using an inverter with a battery and running the CPAP off of AC (inverter). If you do it that way you have to convert DC (the battery) into AC (the inverter and normal power cord for the CPAP) and then back to DC to actually run the CPAP. There are energy losses at each stage of that process because none of those conversions are anywhere near 100% efficient.

I have a Resmed Airsense 10 with their 12v to 24v DC adapter cord (the CPAP actually runs on 24v DC even when you plug it into your home 120v AC wall outlet), and I power it off a Renogy 100ah gel cell battery. I can get two nights out of it including using the humidifier and heated hose.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    jnc likes this.