Crank down stabilizers to replace fold down

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by mjoffive, Mar 10, 2017.

1. mjoffive

mjoffive New Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Hello, friends. I have an opportunity to replace two fold down stabilizer jacks in the back of box with 4 crank down ones. We have an 1998 Jayco 8 foot box and 4 crank down jacks seem like it might be overkill, but we do feel movement with just the two fold down stabilizer jacks in the back.

Any thoughts? Are they easy to install on the camper frame? Thanks so much. This forum is so very helpful!

Mary

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Lots of members here have done the same mod.. The crank downs might need new holes drilled if your going to bolt them on, but almost any welding shop or local welder will be able to weld them in place.. Just remember they are only to stabilize, not to level..

3. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    Our previous pup (a 2001 Dutchmen) had just the fold down stabs when we bought it used but had 4 crank down stabs installed by the dealer we purchased it from. They just used large self tapping metal bolts and we were very happy with the results.

4. mjoffive

mjoffive New Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Thanks all for the info. Now all I have to do is hear back from the guy selling them. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Mary

5. friartuck

friartuck Active Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Perry, MI
    I replaced the drop downs with crank downs on my Yuma, and never looked back. They were easy to install, following the instructions, and made a world of difference in setup time, no more trying to fight the stabs down on an unlevel site! Again, just remember these are for stabilizing, not leveling the camper

6. mjoffive

mjoffive New Member

Aug 16, 2014
    I have read through threads warning of not using stabs for leveling. We level first and stabilize during setup.

Unfortunately, the party who was to sell them to me ($30 for all four) backed out, so now I'm looking for my next best option. I saw some corner rv stabilizers for sale on ebay, but I'm not sure what those are.

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Walmart sells stack jacks in a set of 4, you could use one under each corner of the frame to stabilize the pup as well ..

ST Dog likes this.
  8. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

Apr 17, 2012
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Oh our new one we got the crank down stabs. I personally would have done this mod on my old one had I known its so convenient compared to my old pull downs in back and Jack stands in front.

9. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

Oct 28, 2016
    Gloucester, Virginia
    . . .add a battery powered hand drill and socket and it's a wiz!

10. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Georgia
  11. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    Head to your local junk hard and buy the scissor jacks.

That's what I use on the front of my 6ft box pup to add stability (factory fold down stabs in the rear). I use an 18v 1/2in impact (it does not go into hammer mode) and it is very quick. I do use a block of wood between the jack and the frame to keep the metal on metal rubbing noise down.