Crescent City, CA

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by ccarley, Jul 15, 2017.

1. ccarley

ccarley Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Greetings all,

I was finally able to take my family on a nice, semi-long camp trip to Crescent City, CA. We stayed at the KOA there and although I hate to tell everyone about it, that really is the nicest KOA we have ever stayed at.

The trip North took about 6 1/2 hours. We were loaded pretty good with firewood, food, water, tools, etc. for the trip and for our stay. Temps going North were hovering around 100 that weekend, but I was thankful for the A/C in the truck and having white paint doesn't hurt.
    Near Leggett, CA:
    [​IMG]

The closer we got to the coast, and in the forests, the cooler it got. By the time we got to camp, temps might have been under 60 F. I was impressed with this KOA. The sites were nicely spaced out (for tenting and some of the RV sites), and really it is a beautiful place. Only if you like Redwoods. And cool temps while camping in the middle of summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The campground itself is a beautiful place to walk around and enjoy the trees, ferns, squirrels, birds, and banana slugs.

[​IMG]

The KOA cabins looked at home here too.

[​IMG]

Of course, there was an "RV parking lot" out front where the spaces were right next to each other. Those folks had large trailers or motorhomes though, and even still the view was nice and I'm sure they were OK with it. I was lucky in making our reservations several months in advance, and requested one of the few sites in the forest. I'm not sure if they normally do that, but with our small (er) trailer they might have wanted to put us there, rather than use one of the large pull-through sites in the "parking lot" out front.

[​IMG]

There is a lot to do nearby, and we visited the Smith River as well as a beach at the ocean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had to leave early as we knew it would be a long drive home, and stopped to see Paul Bunyan and Bigfoot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do believe I'll be making reservations for that campground for next year pretty quick. We all had a great time, and at no point was anyone wondering when we would be going home. Our daughter spent a lot of the trip home looking for Bigfoot in the woods :)

Clay

lucky13don and Aneemal33 like this.
  2. sierrapup

sierrapup Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    very nice..what site number did you have. normally don't koa, but it might be time to escape the heat around here...[CC]

3. ccarley

ccarley Member

Sep 23, 2014
    We had site 401; there were a few others in the trees that looked pretty nice too.

4. Be-Ce

Be-Ce Member

Apr 5, 2017
    Albany, Oregon
    Nice trip - thanks for sharing! Visiting that area of NoCal has been on our list for a while. Have you been to Jedediah Smith SP?

5. ccarley

ccarley Member

Sep 23, 2014
    We drove through on the way to the Smith River. It's absolutely beautiful through there as well; although warmer! Not uncomfortable though by any means.

6. Aneemal33

Aneemal33 Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    Looks like a nice trip and beautiful country. All I want to know is who stole Paul and Babe from Bemidji, MN. XD

HotelRoyale likes this.
  7. shuang2

shuang2 Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
    We are going camping at Redwood this September--not too far from Crescent City. We reserved 6 nights this time. The DW & I we both love this area very much. [​IMG]

8. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Member

Jun 14, 2014
    Just got back from a trip where we stayed at Mill Creek in Del Norte. We were only there for one night - had orginally planned two, but had some travel issues. Weather was cool and great. Did the Big Tree and circle hike and the best was Trillium Falls hike. Huge trees and at the end of the hike near the parking lot, we picked two quarts of blackberries (yum) and ate about one!!. We spent about 5 hours driving down 101 and the scenic drive on the way down to the 299 cut off (headed to Lassen). It is a very nice area, but the trees in this area are not as big as those in the Humboldt area south or Eureka, but it was still a great experience. In Mill Creek campground, there are numerous Redwood stumps that are 20+ feet across - just huge.

9. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Thanks for these posts we have been to those spots but had forgotton how beautiful they are!!