Crystal Cove Beach Resort, Tofino BC

Discussion in 'British Columbia' started by nancyanddan, Sep 7, 2015.

1. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Active Member

Dec 2, 2011
    We came in a week ago yesterday, August 31st and liked it so much we extended our stay not once, but twice. We did have to break down and move once but it was no big deal. The park is exceptionally beautiful, and the sites are private, surrounded on three sides with trees and hedges. The whole place is kept immaculate, and the Staff is very friendly and helpful. Free firewood, free showers, and complimentary coffee (Starbuck's) and tea each morning. A short walk to the beach offers some stunningly beautiful scenery.

Despite the off again and on again rain, we are having a lovely time - and it's the first time we've been to Canada with our pup. We took the ferry from Anacortes WA to Sidney BC and then drove over to Tofino, about a 5-hour trip.

The one rather negative thing we found is that *most* of the guests are quite unfriendly, those in neighboring campsites as well as people you pass on the campground roads while walking around. No eye contact and if you speak to them you may or may not receive a nod or a grunt in return. One exception seems to be young families with children. They smile and say "Hello!" more often than not.

Since almost all of the license plates are from BC with just one from AK we have to assume people here are Canadians for the most part. So I have to ask: is this a normal trait of the culture here? Being from California we have always tried to be friendly if people seem receptive, and have met some really nice fellow campers in the places we've stayed. In fact, the couple across from us at the Deception Pass Stare Park Campground in Oak Harbor WA where we camped three weeks ago recommended Tofino when we told them we were planning to visit BC. We had never heard of this place and have had a wonderful time exploring around, finding great restaurants (notably 'The Wolf in the Fog'), and many art galleries and little unique shops.

We'll be here until this coming Friday and then we leave for Weir's RV Beach Resort outside of Victoria. We'll stay for five days and then be on the road again. Maybe see more of this beautiful country or perhaps head back to the U.S. and enjoy a leisurely trip down the West Coast toward home.

2. chefaleslie

chefaleslie Always looking for a great MOD

Feb 9, 2013
    Sisters, OR
    I love Tofino. I'm sorry that your group of campers are grumpy Gusses. Enjoy the area. Tonquin park is a must if you are in the area.

3. corb

corb New Member

Aug 11, 2015
    People being unfriendly is never a good thing to hear. Most of us up here are pretty friendly. Canadian camping is a huge destination for Visiting Europeans, I have run into some that didn't seem friendly only to find out they didn't speak English. I don't want to make any excuses because there are some unfriendly Canadians but hopefully some of the BC plates were rental vehicles.

4. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Mar 3, 2005
    There are a lot of tourists who do rent RV's from BC RV rental companies. Not I am not saying that they aren't friendly but it could be language issues. If you are ever camping at a camp ground that I am at, you will always get a hello from us or even a coffee in the morning....we canucks are friendly....but it takes only one that will make us look bad. So let me say Welcome to BC and Canada Eh!!

5. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Active Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Thanks for the replies! DH just told me that the Canadian plates may well be due to rentals by international guests. I did hear some clearly European dialects while walking through camp. I think privacy is a big issue and I have no problem with that. To each his own, and we will certainly come back here in the future.