Curious about your tow speed

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by DaveWo, Jul 27, 2013.

1. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Hampshire UK
    The law for us in the UK is 60, I find that fast enough for me

bob barnes likes this.
  2. GreatBigAbyss

GreatBigAbyss Active Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Manitoba
    Are the pop up campers you have in Europe much the same as the ones we have here?

3. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo
    55 is the law here ( 3 axles or more) but once over the border its around 60-65.

4. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Hampshire UK
    No, most are what we call trailer tents that generally have an apex roof, sides and top are material of some sort and some have just the sleeping area in the trailer with a large type awning that is actually part of the trailer tent. Over here I think the emphasis is on keeping weight down, some trailers can be checked out here, https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/c...of-the-best-trailer-tents-and-folding-campers

5. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    I have never had that happen and I drive 55

soft 17 likes this.
  6. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    I recently had a blowout at 50mph I didn't hear it just felt the trailer lugging I cant imagine having a blowout at 75mph!! scarey! by the way my tire was shredded and it was new!

7. Aneemal33

Aneemal33 Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    I go 70. I have tires rated for 85mph. I just make sure they are fully inflated and keep a keen eye on the tread wear and sidewalls. Also, it's the first year on these tires, so they should be able to take it. :)

xxxapache likes this.
  8. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    For the most part but they have a gadget they put on the tounge as the campsites are small they unhook the trailer and use this 12v motor thingee to turn their trailer around to squarely face the street. neatest thing I ever saw they don't have pull through sites when they get the trailer squared up then they get an awning room out and attatch it to the trailer I saw some really elaborite ones the trailers are for the most parts pulled by m/benz, Volvos, high dollar cars.

In Europe most people get as much as 2 mos of a year holidays they call them if someone wants to work they get d/time I sort of like it! While in Italy we pulled into this campground found a woman sunbathing completely naked. Life is good in Erupope. While hitting the beach in Monaco saw several topless sunbathers topless but not the young good looking chickadees. Oh to get my health better and go back there one more time!!! There is nothing like Europe and all of them were oh so friendly when they found we were from America. Do not think Americans don't get love and respect we found this in the subways in France all over! Not one time did we encounter anything but helpfulness and they love to test out their English speaking. In London while at the grocery store we talked to an 84 year old lady and got to talk about ww2 and the things they endured, they loaded all their kids up and sent them to the country I don't think I ever read about that. Anyway this lady was so thankful to America for what we did but the young ones could care less she was so disappointed in them but so happy to talk to us and thank us!! Now our children could care less either as I don't think they even teach ww2 in history classes anymore. Not acceptable!

We load up our camping gear, some clothes take the Amtrac from Columbia Mo to St. Louis then to Chicage Ohare get on the plane fly to either London or Paris have our car rental lined up and off we go. There is nothing on this earth like it!! We are usually up 24 hour in a row before we find our campground put up the tent and sleep for 24 hours. Last trip we were in Europe for 6 weeks every night in our tent!! If anyone wants to go I can advise them there is really no reason as cheap as plane fares are to not go if you want to. You just have to be adventurous!!

9. Eskimorob

Eskimorob PUP life

Jul 5, 2016
    65 mph is as fast as I'll go when towing the Jayco. That's the rating on the tires and I don't want to risk messing up anything. I figure I'm on my way to or from a relaxing time, so why be in a hurry, slow down and ease on down, ease on down, ease on down the road.

JPBar likes this.
  10. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    our people have heavy feet and no time to enjoy what they are passing!!!

11. cztardust

cztardust Member

May 29, 2013
    I too hang around 55 to 60 MPH.
    Last year I blew a blew a brake line after just getting the TV serviced and was lucky to be on a road with a decent shoulder to slide into... That and if I ever experience the "wiggle waggle" I want a chance to recover.
    That being said, I rarely hit the interstate. Too much fun taking the old state highways, taking a photo next to Paul Bunyan or take a snapshot with the giant tomato... Love that cornball stuff!

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    The Goodyear Endurance Load Range D tires we installed on the (small) TT last fall have a speed rating of 85 (!). I like having more margin, sure not driving up to the limit. I cruise along at 68-70 mph here in the SW, where the interstate speed limits are 75 mph. This week was the first time I've towed with both the new tires and new axle. I was fine at 70 mph, but once the winds started, slowed to 68 - as much for what little fuel savings I could get as anything else.
    Even with the '17 Silverado, towing the TT has a big effect on mpg. On calmer days, I usually get 11-12 mpg towing on interstate. The other day, I averaged in the 8-10 mpg range.Once we get off onto "blue highways" the mpg tends to go up.
    As a comparison, around town with winter fuel, we've been running 14-16 mpg. Yesterday, my "real time" readout (more accurate than the one in the 4Runner) was 21-23 cruising the roads (Gates Pass Road, among others) and streets around Tucson. Longer distance travel without the trailer tends to be in the mid-upper 20 mpg range.

13. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    Yes, but some of us do it legally with tires rated for higher speeds and within the legal speed limits.:D

myride likes this.
  14. dirkdabass

dirkdabass Member

Jul 11, 2015
    New Jersey
    Tire limit says 65 mph. I try to keep it there. Interstate limits in the west (75 mph) worry me, not for my little rig, but for the cars cruising past me at 85. My Garmin tells me that my highest speed was 86 (!!) but that was only once when I was attempting to avoid dying in a fiery crash. Tires say 65. Good enough for me.

15. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    Watch out for WY, ID, UT, NV, NT, interstate speeds are 80 mph; and and many four and I think some two lane hwys are at 70.
    [​IMG]

16. RVAcampcouple

RVAcampcouple New Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Richmond, VA
    Well I guess I'm just a danger to society... I dont try to push it, but I'll exceed 65 mph if the speed limit does. I also judge it by the conditions and how the rig feels, I once had a 43 foot, triple axle 5'er going a steady 75 mph, touching 80 on a downward slope occasionally, 1,000 mile solo drive in two days and I wanted to get it done...side note on that, good gracious those 6.7L Power Strokes can haul mountains without breaking a sweat, I'd love to have one someday.

17. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Member

Sep 25, 2016

18. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    On a 4 lane or better I'm on the right, doing 65, until I come up behind someone doing 55, then I'll match speed in the passing lane until I get around them. On a 2 lane, if someone's behind me I'll kick it up between 70 and the speed limit until they can safely pass

19. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    70. I figure the tire manufacturers speed rating is about like a rope manufacturers weight rating.

20. kbs

kbs New Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Port Saint Lucie, FL