Cutting a hole in Coleman ABS

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Dylan, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Dylan

Dylan New Member

Ok so I have been searching in the forums and I'm having trouble finding anyone who has had experience with cutting a hole in their abs roof for a vent fan. My 2000 Coleman Cheyenne has one roof brace and the 4 dots for the recommended corners of where to cut into the ceiling. My roof no longer has the original plastic, but is now covered in a grizzly grip liner. I'm trying to figure out if this is a terrible idea to try to cut this hole and what would be the best way to go about it. I'm wanting to order a maxxair fan 5100k. does anyone have any links or thoughts to put into this? thank you so much for your time.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Grey fox put a AC in his. He has pictures also. Wait for him to chime in.

Spridle likes this.
  3. Dylan

Dylan New Member

Thanks, I look forward to the reply. I have to go to work so you guys and gals have a good evening.

4. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Pics start here, click on "i" at the top right of any pic for a text description ...

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Y0tiYWFzQl8xdGRCRmwwOV90TXBtYlpOZHdRc3VB

... but this was for an A/C installation. Since the OP wants to cut a single 14" vent hole for a vent fan I'd highly recommend following Fleetwood's advice for cutting this hole in an ABS roof, as follows.

[​IMG]

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Drill> cut interior surface check >square of holes on exterior surface > cut exterior surface >>>>>> then cut roof core with hacksaw blade using cuts as guide. Don't cut hole with one big cut thru everything, usually will not come out straight.

6. Dylan

Dylan New Member

thank you for all the info. I'm kind of concerned with how strong of a grip this will have into the foam of the roof. I don't know how much the screws will hold into the foam. I feel like the majority of what holds the fan down will be the seal. Am I wrong?

7. Dylan

Dylan New Member

With greyfox's air conditioning unit seems almost like it clamps to the roof, whereas a vent fan seems to screw to the roof and the interior piece is just decorative.

8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Put backer plates on the inside and out. Seal those down, screw the vent into that. So, make a picture frame out of wood, one for the inside, one for the outside, connect them together with bolts. Or just seal the crap out of it.

9. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

A/C units all do clamp to the roof with 4 bolts that run up from inside the camper, through holes in the ceiling unit that line up with holes in the top unit. Fan-tastic Fan offers a clamp down version of powered vent fan that installs similarly for those who don't want to screw into the roof itself.

https://cdn.ltvdns.com/leisurevans.com/owners/3rdparty/Fan-tastic-vent-Fans-and-Controllers.pdf