Dangerous fridge or normal?

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by drgiese, Jun 10, 2018.

1. drgiese

drgiese Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Northern California
    I'm getting ready to leave on a trip tomorrow, so I wanted to test the gas mode of the fridge to make sure it works. AC had worked fine. I switched to gas and left it for a bit, maybe 20 minutes. When I came back the trailer smelled funny - not like propane, more like just "hot". I don't really know how to explain it. The cabinet on top of the fridge was warm, and the outside hatch was pretty hot as well.

Is this normal? I turned it off because I got nervous.

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    How long has it been since you used the fridge on propane? Propane will produce more heat than the on AC. What does the flame look like? How long has it been since any cleaning was done to the burner. The top vent cover will get quite warm, which is normal. I would have someone who knows what they are doing look at the unit

3. drgiese

drgiese Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Northern California
    I've only taken the PUP out once, last season. I used the fridge then and it worked fine. The flame is small and blue. I have no idea the last time it was cleaned; there is a service sticker from 2000 and that's probably the last time it was looked at.

4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Small Blue Flame is good. Check the exhaust vent for any obstructions. Did you have the camper closed in Storage/Travel mode?