Deal or Mistake

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by xMirage2kx, Jul 11, 2017.

1. xMirage2kx

xMirage2kx New Member

Jul 11, 2017
    So yesterday I made an "impulse" buy of a pop-up trailer. The Mrs and I have been talking about it for a while now, but never saw a "nice" one in our budget (1997 coleman sunridge). Well on my way home from work someone was just placing a sign outside of his quite nice looking pop-up for WAY lower than anything I had seen in my casual looking up to this point. So I stopped and looked and sure enough it was quite nice inside and out. I had him run me through everything I could think of and it all worked so I pulled the trigger. It had a few cracks in the top and lid of the storage area, but no apparent water damage so I thought no big deal. Now I have done a little internet research and I find that these cracked ABS rooftops are a bit bigger deal than I expected. Can I just fiberglass it and be good or do I need to do something else?

2. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

Jul 3, 2008
    Iowa
    Search grizzly grip here for one possible solution.

3. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

If the cracks are small, you can put ABS mixture on it then apply Grizzly Grip on it after the repaired areas are dry and sanded off.

4. davekkk

davekkk Member

Oct 7, 2013
    If there isn't water damage then I wouldn't worry about it, there are several solutions to the ABS roofs from what I have seen. Congrats on the new purchase!

Edit: But I would personally address the cracks before using it so you dont get water damage.

Alan and BelchFire like this.
  5. xMirage2kx

xMirage2kx New Member

Jul 11, 2017
    I saw the MEK slurry fix and while it looked awesome online I have the feeling it will turn into one of those Pinterest fails when/if I try it. [​IMG]

Snowman and kcsa75 like this.
  6. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    it all depends what you paid for it. if you got a good deal, fix the cracks and have fun using the camper.

7. Snowman

Snowman Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Boulder, CO
    There is an ABS roof repair tutorial on The PopUp Princess blog. Really detailed repair explanation and it doesn't look that difficult. Here's the link: http://www.thepopupprincess.com/?s=ABS+repair
    Good luck and congrats on the trailer!

Hockeybjj likes this.
  8. Alan

Alan Active Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Reno, NV
    How badly is it cracked? There is a lot of information on this problem to be found. I almost bought a 2001 for $1,800.00 but somebody beat me to it. At any rate the cracks on it weren't bad and I would have taken it down to my local Linex shop and had it Linexed. They really aren't that big of a deal unless you already have water damage.

9. freakshw

freakshw New Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Do not fear the cracks. I had about 2 square feet of my roof shattered for better words. Cracks in the storage lid. I ABS welded everything with my dremel. Everything is solid and water tight now. I plan on using grizzly grip to prevent future damage.