Dealer questions

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by JWeible, Feb 20, 2019.

1. JWeible

JWeible Member

We are finally picking up our new camper on Saturday. It’s a brand new Palomino. We’ve had older pups before but this one has some features we’ve never had. It has a slide out dinette, power lift, and a shower/toilet.
    Our dealer told us to allow 2 hours for our pickup because they will run us through how everything works. My questions is, for the above mentioned features, are there any specifics we need to be sure to ask? I don’t want to miss anything and end up messing up a camper we will be making payments on for the next 6 years.

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

If it's an option, try to record/video the run-through. You don't have to record everything, just the things that you are not familiar with or are new to you. That way, when you get it home for your first driveway setup, you will have a reference.

By the way, congrats on your new pup!

Sjm9911 and JWeible like this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Like bikenfish said I also suggest to record at least some if what they teach you. In regards to specific things to worry about the only thing that comes to mind is the appropriate closing proceedurers when you have a slideout. Every manufacturer does this differently, sometimes the slideout is put in first but canvas last or it's put in last. This was a learning curve for me as no one showed me what to do on mine. You may also find find it difficult to figure where all the extra canvas can go when closing up. Since you have a shower I'm assuming you have a water heater. If you never had a water heater before be sure they show you how to use it . Also may need to discuss winterizing process. Where the water pump is located. How to access the water heater bypass valves etc.

JWeible likes this.
  4. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I’d buy a pup used at dealer long before some of the outrageous used prices of 20 to 30 year old on the gray market. Dealer will show you how everything works and not over charge you. For example financing, no bank will finance a 90s pup yet some people think they are worth $4,000.

5. JWeible

JWeible Member

We bought a new pup. From a dealer.

PaThacker likes this.
  6. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Yeah I just saw a 95 10 foot basic Starcraft on fb. They wanted $4,000. New it was $4800 and only worth $900. A fool would pay $4000 for a 24 year old leaking product.

JWeible likes this.
  7. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

That's my favorite Craigslist joke, put the word "classic" in front of any camper, and then ask $2,000 to $5,000 more than what it cost new [LOL]

8. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

I bought a 40+ year old popup on craigslist for more than it cost new. Sold it for even more. :)