Debating a Remodel

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by emoney, Oct 4, 2018.

1. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Some of you know I recently sold my p'up and went to the darkside. The others now do, lol. The unit I bought, while in great condition, is 12 years old and thereby "dated" in the DW's opinion of all things interior design. So, like a lot of men, I know what "it's fine" or "I mean, it's a camper after all" really mean and I posed this question to her this morning; "do you have any plans for us to camp between now and the end of year?" Her answer, as suspected, was "no". My wife is a 'destination RV'er', meaning, for her, it's about where we are going, not just being in the camper itself. I, of course, knew this going in, and that's why I was pretty confident what her answer to the question would be this morning. I've shared all of that because the true fun for me (being very much OCD) is in the process of all things building, restoring, re-doing, making better. Leading up to this; I think I should remodel the interior from back to front. Here in Florida we are coming into the perfect season for being outside, so if I'm going to bite off this chunk, now's the time. I mean, I'm already in the process of replacing the floor so why not go all the way?

It would entail refinishing/painting all the cabinets since they're currently a honey oak color. More than likely painting the walls, although if possible I'd prefer to be able to match the new décor to what's in there wall-wise as this unit used the Advel (sp?) laminated walls. The color scheme is Hunter Green which my lovely wife tells me is about 20 years out of date, (I thought it was a nice manly tone, lol) along with an odd mix of grays and tans and greens in a floral pattern on the sofa/dinette cushions and even I know that floral patterns are "out". And, while I'm at it, I think I'll have a try at refinishing the beginning to fade shower/vanity in the bathroom since I've recently come across a new product for doing so that looks rather promising. All in all, a rather extensive project, but nothing that's not already been done by someone at some point, somewhere.

So what do you think about the idea? And, before you ask, I'm not too worried about "resale value", as I'm pretty confident in where I am and this isn't truly about that. Matter of fact, it could end up saving me money in the long term, because the camper is pretty close to the ideal for our needs. Should I go "all in" or would you vote to "stay the course and prepare to trade in a year or two?". Just like hearing other folks' thoughts and if you've done something similar, how you feel about it in hindsight....i.e. would you do it all over again?

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Sadly it all depends on you and what you value your time. If your pretty confident that you found your trailer that works for you and yours it may be worth it. Beautifying the camper is not nearly as expensive as redoing the floors on it which it sounds like you are already doing. Well fabric costs may be quite high. So it really buckels down to how much do you value your time. Besides it's possible no matter what camper you find in the future the color scheme may not be up to your wife's standards. Gosh knows I hate today's colors all together.

3. Overland

Overland Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    You want us to talk ya out of it?! ;)

Go for it, involve the Mrs to get her interest up maybe.

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Why are you not camping anymore this year? It's prime season in Florida.

5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    I say go for it. If it's a camper that is pretty much perfect, then why replace? Most of the stuff you identify is more labor than cost. If you have the time and enjoy the work, then have at it.

6. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    I guess I’m wondering as much about logistics. The cost shouldn’t be more than paint and material. I already have all the tools I need. But has anyone had true success with painting the cabinets for example?

As to the why no more camping this year; my daughter and SIL are both in college full time while working full time (she is, he stays with the kids) so they need us for the weekends. Our two grandkids are 2.5 and 1.25 so it’s hard for them to do school work and chase those two around the house, lol. And quite honestly it’s a good trade for us because they both finish in the Spring and we will eventually be taking the girls with us.

Orchid likes this.
  7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I never painted the cabinites in the pup. I would lightly sand , then use a good primer. ( i like the alkaloid base but not everyones cup of tea) Most paint stores will give you advice, and the newer primers are better then before. After that paint with a high gloss color. Let cure. Done. Whats up with the bathroom? I wouldn't paint the walls if there not painted allready, ask the wife what will go with them. Cover the uposlery with something she likes.

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I think you answered your own questions ....... Make your camper the way YOU want it. I would suggest a plan first. What things you would want to change and then the final paint job.

9. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    I’m going to explore some cabinet paint options this weekend and go from there. As for the bathroom, I don’t plan to paint any walls but I was talking about refinishing the tub/shower. The faucets are easy enough to just replace.

10. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Good reason for no more camping this year, and seems like a perfect time to make it your own!

Fabric can be had cheap at Walmart, often same name brands as in Joanne's for 10x as much.

As far as the paint, we used Behr premium and did absolutely zero prep. It's now chipping in some places, but looked great before that.

I'm thinking of repainting and maybe putting some kind of protective coat over top. Not sure what yet.

Our initial results looked every bit as good as people's that have went through extensive prep work. Maybe we wouldn't have chipping had we done that, but lasted a couple years prior to chips.

11. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Ok so I’ve made a decision and here’s the plan; the DW picked out this for the jackknife sofa cover...
    93234B8E-EBC6-4D43-81AA-784A39F300E4.png
    So I’m planning to paint just the walls. I’ve already removed the hunter green themed border (which, btw was a see-thru plastic material?) and purchased the primer. We are thinking just white/dove gray. I’ve picked up some backsplash stick on tiles for the galley wall and will recover the dinette cushions and all the window treatments once we have the sofa cover in hand. Leaving the cabinets since they’re not dark colored and are in really good condition (not mention soooo many and soooo much work lol). Plus, who knows if white cabinets and dark trim is a thing in a few years. I’ll keep you posted when progress is made. The cover won’t be here for a couple weeks so nothing in a hurry