December 2018 - what did you do for your camper this month?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Dec 1, 2018.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Here is the monthly battery charge reminder, for those who need one. We'll be joining this group in the next couple of days, when the batteries are pulled into the garage for the winter.

We towed the TT to the local KOA, which is 3 miles away, to dump the waste tanks today. It had been too late in the day when we got home from our Thanksgiving trip last Sunday. When we got home, we made sure to get it parked a bit more to the outside of the driveway, for the winter. (Gives us a bit more room, but it's a tad more crowded if we're hauling supplies in and out.) Cover should go on tomorrow, weather and winds permitting.
    We'd blown out the water lines last week, but pumped antifreeze through them today.
    Also took a (20 mile) drive out to Camping World, to pick up some supplies the local dealer doesn't carry, and use my gift certificate from renewing my Good Sam membership. Stopped at the dealer too, for something CW didn't have.

2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Continuing to experience camper withdrawal... and I got my batteries on the maintainer.

kcsa75 likes this.
  3. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    Walked out & stared forlornly at our pup, covered up for the winter....the only nice thing about it is there's enough light getting thru the cover ( & currently 2" of snow) that the solar panels are still keeping the batteries peaked. We don't have a garage, so the batteries spend the winter out on the hitch. This will be the third winter for them...so far, so good.

4. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Since the pup is not in the garage I have a tarp over the back half to keep crap from going into the roof AC unit. The wind blew pretty hard so I had to realign the tarp. We are doing some construction on the house and need the garage for wood working. Can't wait to finish and get the pup back into the garage!!

5. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We woke to 1/2" of snow yesterday, and weather all day was wet/cold, so the cover will have to wait. So glad we got the water system all winterized, it was 17* this morning. When I went out to get the paper, both the TT and truck were covered with frost.

6. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Did maintenance on popup for 2 days.

Discovered that the cause of the hot water leak was the worn out seal.
    upload_2018-12-3_9-40-33.jpeg

upload_2018-12-3_9-41-1.jpeg

upload_2018-12-3_9-42-5.jpeg

I replaced the worn out seal for hot water with a good one from a local hardware store while the seal for the cold water was still good,

Cleaned and greased the whiffletree.

Put the stuff that I NEVER use or need in storage bin to be left in garage

Spray painted on certain areas of popup.

cleaned out the storage cargo box and reorganized.

I replaced the 7 Pin plug and it works better now.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I also bought 12 ft gas hose for my Nexgrill to use on table away from camper. I stopped using my exterior stove because the heat from the stove shrunk the clear vinyl window.

8. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    I paid the property tax -- $12.36. [:)C]

9. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    1FB3276A-A4CD-4B87-8C22-A205C593B494.jpeg 8E8D7E10-C340-48F2-82A0-B5BD7919ADF8.jpeg started the next Amz shopping cart.
    repainted a vintage gas heater to use in case i cant get the built in heater working.

not pup, but camp gear: found my 3 vintage Jon-e GI HAND WARMERS & fuel. got one tested & it works!

neighbormike likes this.
  10. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Ordered popup gizmos (arrived now) and was going to install but temperatures here are not warm enough to install my new 2” Velcro on the roof underside. I want the surface temp of the metal on the backside of the roof warm enough to get a good bond with the self sticking velcro. Had Bob sew the Velcro on the gizmos. Cleaned popup in/out with vinegar and water and treated all exterior vinyl with 303. Had a leak at the cassette toilet which got fixed. Got it closed back up until the next bit of warm weather to treat the canvas bunk ends with 303 Fabric Guard and install gizmos. Hope to get the camper back out next month after the holidays.

11. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    I added baffles to my refrigerator, and clean the outside fins. Currently installing a new blower motor fan in my heater.

12. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I found fabric for new curtains, I'll wait until after the holiday craziness to get to the big box fabric store for black out lining. These should reflect more light when we're inside in the evening, and the better lining should help reduce the heat gain when the sun is beating on the windows.

13. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    @kitphantom that sounds interesting. You should do a write up with pics and links to your source. Tag me. I would love to read it, and it's on my to do list.

14. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    Humour me, I'm Canadian [CAN] ... what's "property tax" on a trailer? [?:~{]

15. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    The State of Kansas assesses personal property tax on cars, trucks, boats, campers, etc. Taxes are based on the assessed value of the vehicle. The good news is that I get to pay taxes on the camper and boat a they county where they are stored vs. the county where I live. Saves me a few bucks since the tax rate is considerably lower. [:)C]

16. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    Wow! I assume this tax has to be paid each year? [?]

Here in Ontario one only has to register a trailer once and you then have the plate for life so when I sold our last travel trailer I kept the plate and will be using it on our NTU popup next spring - just have to pay a nominal fee to register it to the new trailer. At the time I initially got it years ago it was just $20, now it's $72 if one needs a new plate along with the registration but once paid that's it for life. :smiley:

17. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Here are the curtains I made for the Coleman Cobalt. The dark brown original curtains absorbed the light so it was dark on the nights we had to sit inside.
    You can see how much light the blackout lining blocked where the sun was shining through the Sunbrella canvas between the print curtain and the light blue one. The light blue one also had blackout on it, and that really helped in cold weather. That was the extra bunk, which we used for storage. I bought the blackout, but the other fabrics came out of our stash. (Quilting and sewing for many years has meant having a large collection of fabrics.)
    The Cobalt had the c-clips to hang the curtains. On the privacy curtain, I just chopped the original (brown) curtain off of the mesh at the top and sewed the new onto that. for the other curtains, I bought new clips, Courtenay drilled holes so I could sew them on by hand. The ones in the TT are just gathered onto a rod.
    The new curtain fabric is also quilting cotton, from the local quilt shop's half price shelves. I've been watching those for a while, since finding something I wanted for curtains in the yardage needed isn't easy on the sale shelves.

Attached Files:

18. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    You assume correctly. [:)C]