Decker 1042 lockset - need keys

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Rich Knack, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Rich Knack

Rich Knack Member

May 25, 2018
    Charlevoix, Michigan
    My 1978 Rockwood has a Decker 1042 lockset on the door. However, I do not have any keys for it. The lock cylinder says "A111" on the front. One of the keys for my Kennedy toolbox kinda-sorta works, but it can be tricky - it isn't a simple stick-it-in-and-turn-it thing, you have to jiggle it around a bit. I know popups are easy to break into, but locks keep the honest folks honest (and helps keep at least some of the dishonest ones out when the camper is in its collapsed/folded position). Is this a hard lock or an expensive one to find keys for? Or is there a modern-made lock that could be installed with a minimum of fuss? Not trying for vintage restoration, just function on this camper.

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I hooked up my unit to the truck and took it to a locksmith, he made keys with no problem and I did not have to take anything apart.

Rich Knack likes this.
  3. Rich Knack

Rich Knack Member

May 25, 2018
    Charlevoix, Michigan
    What did it run you, approximately?

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida

I do not remember, it was awhile ago, I remember it was easier than a new lock and cheaper than having the locksmith come out. A lot of the keys are pre-made too.

5. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Norwalk CT
    A locksmith should be able to make the keys. I just ran the A111 code in my codebook program (I'm a Master Locksmith for over 40 years) and don't see anything that looks right for it but one can be made by impression fairly easily. If you take it to your local locksmith it shouldn't run more than $15-20. That's about what I would charge in my area.

Rich Knack likes this.
  6. Rich Knack

Rich Knack Member

May 25, 2018
    Charlevoix, Michigan
    BLank should look similar to a Kennedy toolbox key T777.

7. Rich Knack

Rich Knack Member

May 25, 2018
    Charlevoix, Michigan
    Found out the common everyday CH751 key locks and unlocks my camper without a hitch. Go figure. Oh, well, a PUP is hardly a high-security camper. The key just keeps the honest people honest (I hope...)