Deep cycle RV Battery hookup.

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Storm Trooper, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper New Member

Feb 14, 2008
    Central Connecticut
    Do it right. [;)]
    On a pup, HTT or TT.
    Black is the positive connection and usually has a fuse on it.
    White is the negative connection and you should be able to follow it to grounding on the frame.

For best performance the battery should a "Marine or RV Deep Cycle" not a Starting Deep Cycle

2. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

Apr 15, 2007
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] Storm Trooper!

3. One important thing to keep in mind: The battery leads coming out of the converter will probably be different. Red is positive and white is negative.

4. pianewman

pianewman Ft. Worth, TX

Aug 30, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Battery maintenance is critical. I had a new battery go dry last summer, with the intense heat and neglect. No warranty claim if you neglect to maintain it properly!

Since the battery sits exposed on most pop-ups, in a black box, it is subjected to intense heat from sunlight. CHECK THE FLUID regularly, and top-up with distilled water only. Don't FILL the cell. I was recently told the fluid should cover the internal plate, but does NOT have to reach the bottom of the fill hole. I had always filled until the fluid surface "cupped"...battery expert said that amount might overflow as it expands while charging. Maybe another expert here can clarify.

5. joet

joet Active Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Since the battery sits exposed on most pop-ups, in a black box, it is subjected to intense heat from sunlight. CHECK THE FLUID regularly, and top-up with distilled water only. Don't FILL the cell. I was recently told the fluid should cover the internal plate, but does NOT have to reach the bottom of the fill hole. I had always filled until the fluid surface "cupped"...battery expert said that amount might overflow as it expands while charging. Maybe another expert here can clarify.
    [/quote]
    Yes you are correct...Never fill a discharged batter . The electrolyte will expand when charging. If plates are exposed before charging, you can add a very small amount of water. A battery will live just as long on tap water as it will on distilled water. My folklift batteries have self watering systems on them that use tap water and I will get an average of 7 years life

6. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Springfield Kentucky
    Also check and clean your post on the battery and check the on charge on the battery, on my Rockwood the elect lift runs off the battery so i charge it before the trip and after i get back.

7. papaburgs

papaburgs New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Something I learned this weekend: If possible, check polarity on unknown connections with voltmeter, just to be sure.

I have a solar charger kit that comes with a couple different connections. Included are a male and female 'lighter' plugs and some aligator clips.

I thought I could use the female lighter plug and the alligator clips to make a setup I could plug an inverter to charge a cell phone. Turns out, if I wanted to do that I needed to reverse polarity on the aligator clips. Only took 2 blown fuses to figure that out.

8. rosco804

rosco804 New Member

Jun 29, 2012
    can someone help me out... my deep cycle batter is approximately 5 years old... I store it in the basement every winter and I must admit, I have never serviced it (added water)... I am usually on top of things re maintenance, but for some reason, I never cared for the battery...

anyways, I put in on the front of my pup today and checked the voltage... it was around 7 volts DC... I also checked the voltage of the connector and it was around 13 volts, which I believe is the correct charging voltage.... I connected the battery and again put the meter across the battery terminals, which were showing around 12.5 volts... perfect !!! j

later the same day, I could hear my inverter inside the pup running continuously and figured is should be off by now, as the battery should be long charged... I pulled the black box cover off of the battery and there was smoke coming from it !!! I immediately disconnected the battery and turned off the electrical to the camper... I checked the voltage of the battery... 18 VOLTS !!!

someone help me out... what have I done !!!! [:(]

9. marcham

marcham New Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Did you check the water level before charging? Given that the battery has sat for a long time, it will probably take 48 hrs for your CONVERTER to charge it. Seeing how it has not received a top-up charge every 30 days, it's probably a little sulfated and the specific gravity has significantly decreased. There isn't a whole lot you can do about sulfation, but specific gravity can be improved with an equalization charge.

My suggestion would be to invest in a good portable charger that has an equalization mode. Then buy a hygrometer and test it. It should be around 1.275 to 1.280 specific gravity when fully charged.

Just as an example, I recently bought a brand new deep cycle battery. Even though it's a mid-quality and new battery, it needed a 3 hr equalization charge to bring it to 1.278 specific gravity per cell.

This should be done every 12 months to all flooded deep cycle batteries. Only equalize a fully charged battery. Monitor the battery regularly and ensure it does not overhead.

Some Black & Decker and many other mid to high end chargers now have an equalize mode, which provides about 15 volts to the battery. These chargers will also charge much faster than your converter. Some may have a recondition mode which can help with light sulfation. http://www.blackanddecker.com/power-tools/VEC1095ABD.aspx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.