Dehumidifier Discovery

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by generok, Apr 15, 2019 at 12:44 AM.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

For many seasons I put a Damp Rid in my PUP, and every season, it was a solid mass, but no water ever accumulated in the bin. I got the TT out of storage and got it home. The Damp Rid in one of the rooms was pretty full of "water" but I have not drained the anti-freeze yet. So, I simply open the door and dump it on the gravel outside the steps.

Ok, so it's NOT just water much to my chagrin. It's some sort of sticky mess that never dried, and I was tracking it in and out of the TT all day restocking it! It stained my entry mats and got everywhere. I finally sprayed the gravel down with some Simple Green and rinsed it off, but even then it was still discolored. Ugh!

So, the "stuff" in the damp rid basin isn't just water... now I know!

[​IMG]

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Good to know. Thanks

3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

it's thick! Sort of like corn syrup..

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 10:35 AM
  4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

No not just water, and it can do big damage to wood if it soaks in. I've seen posts here on the Portal more than once about damage when the moisture/"salt" combo soaked into wood when it overran the bucket. When we experimented with Damp Rid in the TT, I placed the DR pail into another,larger one. We never got one drop of liquid in our arid climate.
    When we cleaned out my MIL's house last fall, a mile from the Ohio River, the pails of Damp Rid in closets were positively icky.

5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

When I put DampRid in the pup I always put it into a bigger bucket just in case!!!

kitphantom likes this.
  6. generok

generok Well-Known Member

My stuff wasn't as much thick as it was sticky. Kind of like soda.

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

All 6 of my small containers of damp-rid (of similar no name product) I used are 3/4 full of water with little to none of the absorbent material left.. Only did a quick check, so there might be one or two that aren't quite that full yet.. Still another 2-3 weeks before I can dewinterize and prep the TT for summer..