1. Hankster

Hankster Member

Oct 20, 2016
    delete

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017 at 2:48 PM
  2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The maximum wattage plug in space heater you can buy is 1500 watts. I don't see why a 2000 watt generator wouldnt run one.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Should run it, will depend on what else is on and operating at the same time..

4. Ductape

Ductape Member

Jun 12, 2013
    I'm thinking the Honda makes 1600 watts, with a peak of 2000. That should run your 1500 watt heater but your generator is going to make plenty of noise and burn a lot of gas with that load..... compared to it running in eco mode.

5. Hankster

Hankster Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Awesome - thanks so much for all your answers! I think I'll just run the space heater on "low" then, along with using our furnace. It's supposed to be chilly chilly when we go camping next week!

6. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

You shouldn't need backup... the pup's furnace puts out a lot more heat than a space heater, and runs a lot more efficiently than burning gas to generate electricity and then using the electricity to make heat.

xxxapache and NMroamer like this.
  7. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    it should run it. But why not re-charge your battery with the gen and run the furnace?? You and your neighbors will not have to hear and smell it running all day??? Also, most GC's don't allow gen's after and before set hours of the daY.

8. Hankster

Hankster Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Actually, where we're going this time are no neighbors - we're boondocking on this coming trip. That said, I only run the space heater (I had a small one before that put out enough heat for a 45-50 degree morning) first thing in the morning to get the chill off... never ever for long periods or at night. We don't even run the furnace at night because I'm a bit nervous about leaving things "on". (I know, I know, I admit it's silly but I'm a safety freak) So, I'm hoping a larger wattage space heater will be good to run for about 10 to 15 minutes, long enough to take the horrible chill off when we first get up and are getting our coffee ready. The furnace only has the one vent, and it takes quite a while to heat up the whole pup. So we put the space heater at the other end of the pup, up on the counter, and let it blast a bit while the furnace pumps out heat on the other end at the floor. Believe me, I'm a person who HATES when people run noisy generators (our Honda 2000 inverter is actually very very quiet and not smelly at all) so I'd never EVER run a genny with others around. Ugh... just a pet peeve of mine when folks do that.

9. tfischer

Do you have a furnace at home? Do you shut it off at night?

There's no more reason to do it with the pup's furnace. Your'e causing yourself troubles for no reason.

10. Hankster

Hankster Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Thanks - as I said, I'm a safety freak. But I appreciate your advice...

11. Hankster

Hankster Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Oh, and I should say that even more than my safety concerns (which I admitted were silly) is that both my husband and I HATE the noise that the furnace gives off and can't imagine listening to that go all night long. To each their own, but the reason we choose a popup over a travel trailer is so that we can hear the trees, frogs, and stream rather than the furnace going off all night long. We pile on the blankets and have the slides covered so that we don't really get all that cold at night. We actually even open up the windows on the king slide a little so we can hear the forest better! We sacrifice staying super warm for the joy of the sounds of the forest. As I said, it's more of a luxury to have the space heater (and furnace) to use in the mornings while we're getting coffee ready and getting dressed for the day.

12. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    FWIW, your furnace probably puts out 15,000 BTU or more. A 1,500 watt electric heater on high will put out around 5,100 BTU. Your furnace puts out approximately three times the heat of the electric space heater.

xxxapache and tfischer like this.
  13. Hankster

Hankster Member

Oct 20, 2016
    delete

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017 at 2:50 PM
  14. tfischer

I'm sorry if you find our advice condescending. You're looking to do something in an inefficient, non-standard, and generally "bad" way and several of us very politely pointed that out, along with the better alternatives.

If you still want to do it your way, that's fine, but there's no reason to call us bullies for trying to help you.

15. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    I don't have a furnace in my bedroom. My furnace is in the cellar with nothing flammable around it. I can understand that someone may be uncomfortable with a furnace running a few feet away from their bed.

Hankster likes this.
  16. tfischer

To be honest I'd be a lot more paranoid by sleeping with a generator running (carbon monoxide) and I've never felt truly safe with space heaters (but I do use them when needed).

I'm really not trying to come off as a jerk here... just seems that the OP is trying to overcomplicate things considerably.

17. Hankster

Hankster Member

Oct 20, 2016
    delete

18. Hankster

Hankster Member

Oct 20, 2016
    delete

19. Hankster

Hankster Member

Oct 20, 2016
    delete

20. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    Turn the furnace on, put the coffee on and crawl back in the sack for a little "cuddle-time" listening for those frogs while waiting for things to warm up? ;)

I'm not camping with you. Do it how ever you deem best for your needs. A few members questioned/offered alternative methods to your needs. YOU were the one offended. That doesn't make everyone here "unfriendly" "mean" or "bullies". There are actually a lot of good folks here. Don't toss us all in the same basket, please. :)

neighbormike and tfischer like this.