Desert View Campground, Grand Canyon National Park, AZ.

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by Unstable_Tripod, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    This is the secondary South Rim NP campground. It is at the eastern end of the park about 25 miles from Mather and the main village. Elevation is 7,469 feet. It has a Visitors Center, gas station, rest room, general store and snack bar adjacent to the CG. They are near the famous Watchtower designed by Mary Colter. This complex and the CG are closed in winter. The CG usually opens for the season in mid-May and closes in mid-October.

Desert View is FCFS and has 50 sites on one big loop. (Take a site on the outside of the loop so you don’t face neighbors across the way.) Roads and site pads are paved with asphalt and are fairly level. The sites are reasonably sized and privacy is good for sites on the outside of the loop. Vegetation is primarily juniper and pinyon pine. The cost is $12 per night (automated self-pay kiosk). There are no hook-ups. Maximum vehicle length is 30 feet. Each site has a table and fire ring. Water is available via spigots on the loop and the rest rooms have flush toilets. The CG does not have showers or a dump station but it does have trash facilities. Generators are permitted between 8:00-10:00 AM and 6:00-8:00 PM. Quiet hours are 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM if I remember correctly. Pets are allowed but be leashed at all times and never left unattended.

The CG usually fills by early afternoon. Stays are limited to seven days. Checkout is 11:00 AM. I arrived at 9:38 AM. The place was mostly empty so I could pick a good spot. I took Site 13, which is a pull-through on the outside of the loop and has a lot of space away from the road. The CG was full each night. I liked this place better than Mather because, being smaller and off the beaten path a bit, it was quieter and more relaxed.

Here is my campsite at Desert View.
    [​IMG]

Here is the Watchtower, near the Visitors Center.
    [​IMG]

2. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Jul 13, 2011
    Beautiful! I wanna go...

3. desertlady

desertlady New Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Great photos of the area! I'm with Novagirl-----I wanna go there! [ALPU]

4. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

Jul 20, 2012
    Nice photos! We're stopping at the North Rim on our way back from Utah in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to visiting the Canyon again, as it's been a few years since we were there.

5. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Aug 27, 2010
    Beautiful [8D]

6. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Texas
    Great pics UT [8D]

Is there a campground there at the Grand Canyon that does have hook ups ?

7. Unstable_Tripod

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Trailer Village, adjacent to Mather CG, does have hook-ups. I think there are some private ones just outside the park that do as well. I think reservations are needed for these places.

8. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 New Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Be forewarned the Trailer Village is, well, a trailer village. Very literally, it looks like an RV dealership parking lot. Personally, I would opt for either Desert View of Mather. Mather is at the south rim, just across from Trailer Village. It is a "dry" campground, but very nice and pleasant and comfortable and just adds to the whole experience.

9. desertlady

desertlady New Member

Sep 3, 2011
    When doing a self pay kiosk do they accept checks, or do they want cash? I've always done reservations but when I take the camper out next week I want the flexibility of arriving when I want.

10. Unstable_Tripod

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I wasn't giving it much thought at the time but if I remember correctly the machine accepted cash, credit cards and debit cards.

11. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. [A]

12. shuang2

shuang2 Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I'll do the south rim camping for my NTM 2005 Chalet XL 1940 a test as soon as possible.