Detailed measurements of Aliner Classic

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by mark30, Jul 22, 2018.

1. mark30

mark30 New Member

Jul 21, 2018
    Searched online and can't seem to find any detailed measurements of recent or current year Aliner Classics. I'm seriously considering getting one and am interested in some of its measurements.

If anyone has a newer model Aliner Classic, could you provide measurements for:

a) Length ___ and width ___ of rear sofa bed (Aliner website has conflicting information).
    b) Dinette bed: width ___ of street side of bed; width ___ of curb side of bed (are these different?); height of bed ___ (without the cushions); thickness of cushions ___.
    c) Inside height ___ and width ___ of storage under dinette benches.
    d) Width of camper's main door opening ___.

Please also specify year of Classic for any measurements provided.

Thanks kindly.

2. SNOBIRDS-NY

SNOBIRDS-NY New Member

Welcome, I have a 2018 Aliner Classic that I picked up new from a dealer in May. The rear sofa bed is length 75" x width 60." The dinette bed is 75" x 46" (door side). Far side is 75" x 40." The height of bed is 16" without the 4" cushions. The storage under the door side dinette is 22" wide and 13" high. The door opening is 21" frame to frame, 19 1/2" molding to molding. I hope this helps. PM me for more info! I should say the bench seat on the door side is 46" on the door side and the far seat is 40".

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  3. mark30

mark30 New Member

Jul 21, 2018
    Thank you @SNOBIRDS-NY, this is helpful indeed.

My two take-aways are:

(1) Need to order a portable toilet under 13" in height so it can be stored under one of the benches. Found a Thetford model 260b (bellows-pump) at 12.2" height, and Thetford model 335 (piston-pump) at 12.88" height. So, hopefully either of these will fit.

(2) Might take on a mini project to widen the dinette bed to make it wide enough for two adults. The 40" at the 'foot' end should accommodate two peoples' legs. The remainder of the bed would need to be widened to 52". I have a plan on how to achieve this - basically an L-shaped piece of wood that is supported in place to extend the bed, combined with an additional piece of custom cushion. This will mean the fridge can't be fully opened when the extension is in use, and the camper's main door walkway will be reduced to 13.5" (up to the height of the bed) which should be enough to squeeze past.

Regarding my second point, I really wish Aliner made all of their dinette beds large enough for two adults (i.e., double size) without need to do inconvenient mods. The camper gets more useful as soon as it can sleep 4 adults.

4. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Georgia
    I've seen that dinette modification somewhere. It had a leg to support the extension.
    Our first camper, a '92 Starcraft Roadstar, had a 48" wide "double" bed. It was plenty long enough and we slept comfortably many nights in the ten years we had it. We've put two small grandchildren in the dinette bed of our campers (with their heads at opposite ends) and two small adults might be able to snuggle up for a night or two as it is now.
    Most of the A-frame campers are really designed to comfortably accommodate only two or three. We have a friend who has a 2006 Aliner the size of the Classic. It is called an Expedition, but those weren't built wider and longer until about 2010. It was built with bunks in the front similar to the Chalet XL-1920 where one mattress is on the floor. The Chalet XL A-frames are the largest I've seen. You lose a lot of storage with that extra bed and our friend uses the lower space for storage.

Rik Peery likes this.
  5. mark30

mark30 New Member

Jul 21, 2018
    I had a chance to see an Aliner Ranger 12 and an Aliner Scout today, both 2019 models. I took some measurements:
    • The inside storage area height under the dinette bench is 15 inches (I assume the 13" measure @Snowbirds-NY mentioned for the Classic might not be correct? since all the other measurements were the same.)
    • In the Ranger 12, just inside the camper's main door on the right-hand side, there is a cupboard door that opens to the storage area under the front curb-side dinette bench. This little door is 14" high and 15" wide. The Scout did not have this little door so the storage area can only be accessed by lifting the bench's seat cushion up.

6. SNOBIRDS-NY

SNOBIRDS-NY New Member

Mark 30, you are correct, I just went out and remeasured, sorry about that. My storage door is 14.5" x 16"

7. mark30

mark30 New Member

Jul 21, 2018
    Hello @SNOBIRDS-NY, did you get the standard frame or the off-road frame with your Classic? Could you tell me the exact size of the tires. I need to order a wheel lock so knowing the tire size will be helpful.

By the way, I ended up ordering the Thetford model 335 Porta Potti as it will fit easily beneath any of the bench seats (and it is small enough that it will be easy to carry).

8. SNOBIRDS-NY

SNOBIRDS-NY New Member

mark30, funny when you sent this. I was at my friends auto shop dropping off my nylon belted trailer tires and having my radial tires mounted. I bought the standard frame. I bought the radials because we are going to be putting a lot of miles on the pup this winter. The tires I bought are ST175/80R 13 Load range D. I'm not sure if the tires it came with were C or D load range, but I don't think that would matter for a wheel lock. Good luck with the Porta Potti!

9. mark30

mark30 New Member

Jul 21, 2018
    @SNOBIRDS-NY, thank you for all of the helpful information. I'm thinking of getting the Trimax TCL65 wheel lock to compliment the Trimax UMAX50 coupler lock that I already have.

Wish you an enjoyable time camping this winter and the years to come.