Did going dark side keep you from quitting camping?

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by 97Widerider, Jul 18, 2017.

1. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

For those of you who say "pop-ups will always be around", how many brand new pop-ups do you see out in the wild? The ones I see tend to be at least 10 years old, and the average is probably closer to 25. That stock isn't going to last forever.

And like was said above... the math doesn't make sense (for most people) to buy new. As much as I love our pup, I don't love it for $15K, even if it were new and shiny.

I hope I'm wrong though.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    It varies a bit by time of year, but we often see a good number of popups, new, old, and everything in between in the 4 Corners states. Same with TTs, HTTs, and RVs.

3. NorcrossFlyer

NorcrossFlyer Member

Oct 26, 2015
    North Georgia
    I believe it. I'm guessing it has more to do with a outdoor-focused lifestyle in the west and the number of dry campgrounds vs the east. Then there is the humidity factor. I can sleep at night without AC in 80 degree temps. But add in 70% humidity? No thanks.

4. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    I feel the OP's pain. I also popup before to load and pack - but that part is actually fun for me. It's the part when you get home and pop up to unpack that stinks. Since we tow with a minivan, a pop-up is our only option. Here are some things I do to make it less painful:

1. everyone packs their own clothes and toiletries. I give each family member a list, an empty Sterilite drawer, and an empty toiletry bag. They can also pack a small toy bag. They must pack and put it in the camper. I do doublecheck the younger kids packing to make sure they didn't forget anything.

2. when we get home and pop up, the kids must help unload and unpack. 12 is on kitchen duty, unpacking leftover food and putting it away, washing containers and dishes, etc. 8 is the pack mule - just carries clothes, towels, anything that needs to come out of the camper and in to the house. 5 puts everyone's pillows back on their beds and any other easy chores we can come up with.

3. when camping, the only meal we cook is dinner. In the beginning we sometimes cooked breakfast and/or lunch. And then on a longer trip this summer with another family, they liked to cook lots of stuff. We liked to eat it, no doubt. But we hated all the prep and clean up. So donuts for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, cook a dinner. We are just happier this way.

I'm still working on making a better process for how we pack things up at our campsite before we come home. If we can get more things cleaned well and packed away, then we don't have to do it when we come home.

5. tfischer

I couldn't do #3. For me, good food is integral to camping. We've actually gone to cooking more... we used to always do "cold" lunches but now only do that on the day we leave... pack up then do a cold picnic lunch at a nearby park.

xxxapache likes this.
  6. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    First of all guys learn to use disposables remember the queen is on vacation too and don't expect big meals when camping I am the chef and it aint much p/cakes for breakfast, who knows what for dinner usually not much and supper I usally barbecue and no I don't take a big huge grill I use an hibachi that I can store.

Don't make things so hard for everyone take my word for it at 76 just learning to love one another more while camping is the key here!!

7. tfischer

Oh I do most (if not all) the cooking while camping. I rarely cook at home. Wife does help with cleanup. We enjoy using 'real' (plastic) plates while camping because paper plates are a pain (and not very eco-friendly).

But... I agree. Don't make it hard on yourselves. If it's fun, do it. If not, try not to, or scale it back.

8. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE
    Back to the point on whether popups are here to stay... I went to the PA RV show yesterday. Largest in the country. Over 1300 RVs. I think I saw 2 conventional popups. May have missed some. Saw maybe 6-7 A-frames, but by and large mostly hard sides. You can understand that the real-estate at the show is expensive and they want to sell the more expensive units, at the show, but they had lots of cheap small hard sides. Seeing the same thing on dealers lot. I think the trend is pretty clear that there are far fewer conventional popups being manufactured than there used to be...

9. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    If we are with a group, big potluck meals are the norm, especially a big greasy meat, potatoes, and egg breakfast. I love cooking on the Coleman 3 burner and cast iron..... For just the two of us, something frozen that can be thrown in the oven or microwave is not uncommon.

10. tfischer

Someone here recently posted a pup listing, for $15,000. I couldn't believe it, and was about to make a snide comment, but went to look up the value and it sold for $21,000 new. For a pop-up! The thing was fully loaded and no doubt could not be pulled by even a minivan with towing package, much less a car of any kind or smaller SUV. So, not cheap, not easy to tow... pretty much none of the advantages of a pop-up (other than you're still technically sleeping under canvas), and all of the disadvantages.

11. NorcrossFlyer

NorcrossFlyer Member

Oct 26, 2015
    North Georgia
    I think the sweet spot for pups now is small. 8-10' box with a max weight of 2000lbs. Good for a couple plus 1 kid, maybe a dog. You can tow it with pretty much anything larger than a compact car. Use it to get into remote, dry campgrounds.

Last summer I watched a guy pull in to a campground with one of those 14' monster HW pups. Given the cost and work involved I just didn't get the allure of it.

12. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Iowa
    I would agree with that. For grins and giggles I quoted out a new Jayco that would match my 99 Coleman Bayside which has the full size box, slide, all the bells and whistles except a shower and commode. MSRP came back at almost $18k and that didn't include the A/C unit. I agree the trend is towards small and lightweight for those who need to pull behind a minivan, anything larger like mine they're pushing into smaller TT's. On the plus side I see quite a few older pups at most of the campgrounds I go to. Seems like the trend isn't dying yet, just the sale of new stock is. Maybe in 10-15 years when some of the older pups have outlived their useful life and the secondhand market starts to dry up, the newer ones will make a comeback?

13. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Someone should resurrect the Apache hardsides. My 12 ft box Roamer had an advertised weight of under 1900 lbs.

I visited a defunct Apache dealership a few years ago. The owner told me Apache went under because they cost so much. She said a new top of the line 1986 model cost 12k dollars. She said she was selling nice large TT for the same money. It was apparent Apaches cost so much because they were labor intensive. Much of the trailer was built by hand with a hacksaw and metal brake. I guess they never modernized production. Today, plastics and plastic production is better than it ever had been. Surely the cost of the plastic panels would be cheaper today compared to the relative cost back then. If a modern hardside Apache could be as well built as the old ones were and sold for under 20k, they would probably be a success.

The only wood in mine was the floor and bed bottoms. It was marine grade plywood and rock solid. The only downfall to an Apache was the ABS plastic got old and brittle. If that problem were cured, they would be a lifetime trailer.

14. tfischer

The old apache's look really nice, and even though I'm normally not a big "vintage trailer person" I really like these.

I always wondered why they fell out of favor, thanks for the info. I agree, would love to see the style picked back up but it would have to be at a reasonable price point because the "I could go with a TT for that price" argument rings as true today as ever.

15. NorcrossFlyer

NorcrossFlyer Member

Oct 26, 2015
    North Georgia
    And it isn't just size, it is features. I think there is a market for new pup's that are closer to tents than TTs.

Get the price of a brand new one under $10k max and you'll probably have people who buy a TT but also keep a pup in the garage.