Disable Furnace Fan

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by ChrisZ, Sep 4, 2017.

1. ChrisZ

ChrisZ New Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hi Folks,
    I have a 2000 Coleman Santa Fe. Last weekend while camping in the Adirondacks the furnace fan turned on. I set thermostat to lowest setting but it still ran. Eventually I had to disconnect the battery to stop the fan. Is there a simpler solution to disable the fan when I don't want the furnace to run?

2. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    sounds like the thermostat. Do you have an on/off switch on the thermostat? Confirm the fan still runs when battery is connected. Disconnect battery. Disconnect one wire in the stat and re connect the battery. Does it run?? If so the problem is with the stat.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Most thermostats have an on/off switch. It is sometimes extremely difficult to move, so you may think it is actually all the way off (or on) but it really isn't. (With the original in our 2010 Coleman, I resorted to using a spoon to move the on/off lever.) If the 'stat was off, and is operating correctly, you have some searching to do.

4. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    X2 ^

5. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    On my furnace, there is also an on/off rocker switch under the grill. You could rock that to off if you have the same feature as on mine. The only other way is to either check for the on/off switch on the t-stat as stated above, or remove one wire from the back of the t-stat and you will break the circuit, and the fan shouldn't run, even if you want it to.

ezakoske likes this.
  6. ChrisZ

ChrisZ New Member

Sep 4, 2017
    thermostat.jpg I have this thermostat - no on/off.

7. Fless

Fless Active Member

@ChrisZ , I apologize for the fuzzy picture but, if yours is like the one on my 2002 Cheyenne, your On-Off switch may be on the top right-hand side. See red outline in the pic below. These switches tend to be stiff and somewhat difficult to change positions, and it's possible that the lever is broken off.

Atwood Therm.JPG

kitphantom likes this.
  8. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    We had the same thermostat in our Chalet Arrowhead, with the same problem of nearly impossible to operate on-off switch. That, and desire for more precise control, led me to replace the thermos with the simplest, cheapest digital unit available at Home Depot. Easy job, it really took less time to install than it did to read the instructions.

9. TheDuke

TheDuke Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Southern MN
    My on/off switch broke off last trip. I will be replacing with this:
    upload_2017-9-12_13-36-10.png

10. ChrisZ

ChrisZ New Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Thanks folks. I think my On/Off may also be broken. I'll wait for the weather to get a bit colder and test it out!

11. ezakoske

ezakoske Member

Nov 30, 2014
    I'd just replace it, like a couple of others have said above. For $30 or so, you can install a basic digital thermostat with a backlight - they work a lot better...There are many threads on here about thermostat replacement, but it's essentially 2 wires and a couple of screws/bolts.