disposable or reusable?

Discussion in 'Camping Green' started by edgeuk8tr, Oct 7, 2012.

1. sekmomof4

sekmomof4 New Member

Aug 14, 2015
    In the past we have always been reusable everything. We use our water bottles everywhere we go, and hardly ever use sposie anything. (although I do keep paper towels around for really icky stuff like cat barf [:(O] ) Otherwise at home we use cheap washcloths as napkins. We even do cloth diapers and cloth wipes! The only time I like sposie stuff is family get togethers so I can focus on time together and not the mess. So with that said- We are planning on keeping with no sposie stuff, and NEVER EVER styrofoam anything!!

2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I have both paper plates and Coleman metal/ceramic plates, depending on the time of the day. I also put foil on the stove folding covers so I do not have to wash them... I recycle the foil.

3. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Oh wow, you just brought back memories. We had that in our house during the 70s and 80s. Not sure what happened to it but I'm fairly convinced that there are on 10 sets of that flatware running around the planet but they keep getting sold/passed on/inherited to future owners.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @bondebond-I didn't even start out to buy an entire set of Twin Star for the camper (actually bought it when we still had the pup), I just wanted to find some good quality iced tea spoons - the rest, as they say, is history (in more ways than one...)

5. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    With the exception of mugs, steak knives, pots and utensils... we use paper plates and plasticware. Unfortunately, most CGs up here don't recycle... heck, a lot don't even have trash service. But, it's just quicker, cleaner, and generates less greywater that I can't dump at many sites. Honestly, it's just mostly easier.

6. Indiana

Indiana Just a bunch of squirrels, looking for a nut

Mar 28, 2015
    I am with sekmomof4. I don't use disposables, camping or at home, even for parties. For camping each member of the family has one insulated mug, one large bowl, one plate, one fork knife and spoon. Simplifies storage and cleanup, and we don't make foods that require more than that. I have one roll of paper towels in our mess kit that we not used up in years of camping trips. My only use for a paper towel is to wipe out a particularly greasy pot in order to use less soap at cleanup.

I really enjoy being as minimalist as possible, and generating as little trash as possible.

PointyCamper likes this.
  7. Mimito12!

Mimito12! New Member

Mar 1, 2015
    When we camp with the kids and grandkids I use disposable plates and silverware for most of everything, except for coffee,then it is mugs. But when it is just my DH and me, then I use the dishes that i bought at Sam's. I merely clean everything off, then wash them using Mrs. Meyers soap

8. astronomynv

astronomynv 98 Starcraft Constellation 1021 TV 93 Ford Bronco

May 13, 2010
    I would say 95% if what we use is non-disposable. What we can't reuse we will either recycle it or if it's safe to burn we will burn it. All of our dishes, cups, bowls are enamel and our forks and knifes are metal.

9. BirdsNest

BirdsNest Active Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Utah
    If we are doing something greasy, like bacon or hamburgers, then we'll use paper plates and just toss them in the campfire. But we try to use reusable dishes whenever it won't be a big hassle to clean them up at the campsite.

10. Katskamper

Katskamper Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    both. I stocked the pup with good dishes, cups, pots & pans (1940s Revere Ware with copper bottoms, purchased at yard sale for $2 each!) Melamine plates, plastic and metal cups that get washed. real flatware. my sink is so tiny, it barely holds 2 coffee cups. I have melted holes in several plastic wash tubs when putting a hot pan in. I found a food service steamer tray pan in stainless steel that now serves as the wash sink. and I can reheat the dishwater in the same pan. paper plates end up in the firepit.

11. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I like to call the recyclable plate a "Burnable" plate.

12. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    We mostly use Corel dishes , except for the occasional meal such as a burger. If paper plates are used, they go into the fire. We only use actual cutlery, never plastic.

13. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    We use hard plastic plates and mugs, with light metal flatware and carry two dish tubs and a drying rack for the picnic table.