disposable or reusable?

Discussion in 'Camping Green' started by edgeuk8tr, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Singler3360

Singler3360 New Member

Feb 4, 2018
    I'm surprised so many people have posted they use disposable some or all of the time. How hard is it to wash a few knives and forks? What are you teaching your kids while camping about long-term sustainability? I don't expect everyone to be perfect stewards for everything all of the time, but using disposable dinnerware while camping, really? Perhaps it's time to slowdown and clean up after ourselves responsibly.

PointyCamper likes this.
  2. bflentje

bflentje Member

Aug 24, 2009
    The easiest thing in the world to do is to judge other people.

3. Toolmaker13

Toolmaker13 New Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Maybe instead of bitching about how many people are destroying the environment, try sounding a little less abrasive and selling the fact that we should all try to be a little more environmentally conscious in our lives. All it takes is one over the top pushy person to ruin a thread. I also use disposable dinnerware, but I don't wash them, I burn it in the fire so it goes to the atmosphere. Don't want to fill the landfills!!!!

4. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I don't want to pollute the landfill by throwing away disposables, don't want to pollute air by burning disposables and don't want to pollute groundwater by washing plates and dinnerware so I just let my dog lick all plates and dinnerware clean! [:D]

Toolmaker13 likes this.
  5. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    That works pretty well, Halford, until you put your dog on a grain-free diet for allergies. If you don't want to go grain-free yourself, you have to either find a different way to clean them or be kept up allllllll night by dog scratching.

We do use some disposable paperware that we'd compost if we used it at home (which we wouldn't). We have a recycling trash and regular trash in our camper. Considering we have about 2'x6' of floor space, adding a can for compostables would be challenging.

We don't burn stuff. Dog isn't the only one with allergies.