Do you have any camping traditions?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Tulip, May 10, 2019.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Not so fast! They might be comming back?https://www.google.com/amp/s/thetak...rt-candies-saved-from-dusty-ex-1829300533/amp

HappyTraveler, Rik Peery and Toedtoes like this.
  2. Tulip

Tulip Member

We didn't! But I wish we had. We actually drove through there in the dark. I think we rolled into our first campsite at Lake Superior Provincial Park about 1:30 am.
    We did get a photo at the Big Nickel in Sudbury and the goose at Wawa though. I will put it on the list for next time!

Chloe and HappyTraveler like this.
  3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

HappyTraveler likes this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I had to look it up , but i remembered it was the same company, and my daughter lived the sweet hearts for valentines day. They say 2020 will be the new release of the candy. My daughter thinks every holiday is like Christmas, gifts and candy. Lol. Plus 2 years ago she could read the hearts, and looked forward to them the next year. Hopefully we will see them soon!

HappyTraveler and Rik Peery like this.
  5. bheff

bheff Member

We are pretty simple. We buy a magnet with whatever city/campground we stay at.

Redbird234, Orchid and HappyTraveler like this.
  6. KeatesCamping

KeatesCamping Member

I wouldn't say these are traditions per se, but there are things we eat and do every time we camp.
    We always have bacon and eggs and such for the first breakfast and pancakes and sausage for the second with fresh maple syrup. Usually this is to try to use up perishables that are kept in ice coolers, leaving stuff like toast, cereal, packaged oatmeal for the last morning(s).
    We always go on a couple of hikes and at least one day of canoeing/kayaking.
    Lots of picture taking of course.
    When the kids were young, we'd try to do a craft and/or find a nature item they could bring home like rocks we'd paint, empty shells, stones, acorns etc.
    We treat ourselves to an ice cream cone for the ride home. They often have them at the provincial camp stores in some of the parks.
    And when the kids were young we'd let them buy a small item from the gift shop as a token of remembrance. For example, I get a pin or a magnet.

7. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Good post; reminds me of old school camping 50s/60s, pics w/ an old Browning camera, ice chests loaded up w/ stuff, & spending the days in the woods exploring & finding all kinds of neat treasures, fishing, etc...lot of Stuckey's back then to stop by on the way home for food/tokens, & little frozen custard stands were plentiful...you hated to leave the woods, but a stop on the way home was a treat for sure...

8. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Dont give up hope yet. From the internet:

"The Necco Wafer(s) ... were sold to the Spangler Candy Company of Bryan, Ohio. In September 2018, Spangler announced plans to return the Necco Wafer to the market, with a target date of November 2019."

9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

When I was a kid, we always stopped at Stuckey's and were allowed to pick out a candy stick. Choosing which flavor was always so hard!

Nani2, HappyTraveler and Rik Peery like this.
  10. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Yep, Sjm9911 posted the same rumor. So hopefully I will have my necco wafers for my death valley trip!

11. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Ours is not so much a "Camping" tradition, but the DW and I have been making the quest from the Twin Cities to our camping destination in Grand Portage on the Canadian border for over thirty years. As the half-way rest stop on the five hour trip, we ALWAYS stop at the Perkin's Restaurant in Duluth for our last hearty meal before we engage with the camp meals. I always get the "Tremendous Twelve" (with bacon, of course). Mmmmm.

[​IMG]

Tulip, HappyTraveler and Rik Peery like this.
  12. KeatesCamping

KeatesCamping Member

Yes! We've never had the money to do big trips so camping has always been our big family thing and it's just always been about making good memories for the kids <3

Tulip, HappyTraveler and Rik Peery like this.
  13. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We do this with stickers for campgrounds/areas we camp in for the first time. The front curbside of our camper is getting fuller and fuller of them. I like the magnet idea but nothing in our pup is magnetic.

14. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

We roast Peeps, not marshmallows, over the campfire. Delicious.

15. bheff

bheff Member

I keep my magnets on the fridge in the house. Reminds us of our adventures in between trips.

KeatesCamping and HappyTraveler like this.
  16. KeatesCamping

KeatesCamping Member

I put them on my fridge at home to remind me of where I'd rather be, lol

17. Tulip

Tulip Member

This is the same for us. My kids don't have memories of European vacations like some of their friends, but they do remember making each other laugh so hard they fell out of the hammock, or convincing our most gullible family member that a rock in the St Lawrence was a whale, or exploring the tidal pools right at the edge of our campsite in NB, or Moose selfies on the Skyline trail, or the day my son ate a dozen bagels from St Viateur in Montreal (teenagers!)

18. KeatesCamping

KeatesCamping Member

My youngest is 15 and he's a bottomless pit so he'd love to try that I'm sure, lol He's a runner and is skinny as a rail, bless him, lol.

Tulip and HappyTraveler like this.
  19. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Had the opportunity to take a 1,000 Island cruise on the St Lawrence out of Clayton NY, son is based w/ a combat air cav unit not far from there; we went up after he returned from a deployment a couple of years ago, loved the area, looking forward to returning some day, son is out of the country much of the time so it's hard to plan...his best memories are from simple camping experiences, & loved the fact I could live as a kid all day on a peanut butter samich wrapped in wax paper & an apple...I'll take a jelly or jam samich toasted over a fire w/ friends any day over fine dining w/ stuffed shirts...

Redbird234 and HappyTraveler like this.
  20. Tulip

Tulip Member

I would love to do the 1000 island cruise. Would also love to kayak through there.