Do you have license plates on your camper?

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by Buttermilk, Jun 15, 2012.

1. megcabra

megcabra Active Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Chapel Hill, North Carolina
    The good news is that Virginia like New Hampshire recently moved the vehicle inspection stickers to the drivers side lower corner of the windshield to avoid interference with new safety technologies like collision avoidance systems.

image.jpg

Pimpy likes this.
  2. Pimpy

Pimpy New Member

Apr 27, 2018
    Georgetown County, SC
    Well about time. I'm happy for you and your cars. That was long overdue.

megcabra likes this.
  3. JunieB

JunieB Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    Florida requires plates. Renewal deadline is always your birthdate. When I store it for rainy season (summer) I take the plate off and stash inside. Why? That thing is valuable. We call it "new wheels" in FL and you have to pay for the vehicle's 1st plate, through the nose. Even an older car moved in from out of state may cost $400 for that 1st plate. "Cover charge" for moving to FL.

4. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    Here in Idaho, all trailers, even the dinky one I pull behind my motorcycle have to display a licence plate, & if they have more than a bed & a light in them, an RV sticker as well. Utility trailers don't have to be titled, but RV trailers do.

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

If you report it stolen, you are not charged for a new one. It's only $200 for the new plate in my county. I have one on my account right now from a car I sold, thankfully, so if we get a second vehicle I won't have to pay it. I kept the paperwork just in case. [LOL] Nobody is losing my freebie in the system.

6. NEKPOPUP

NEKPOPUP Member

Sep 21, 2016
    I registered once to get a plate. never renewed, they never check popups, and most of the time i am camping out of state where they can't really do much about expired tags and no inspection.

7. JunieB

JunieB Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    I accidentally drove without the plate on, first time out this year. Even saw a couple state troopers-- did I get stopped? Nah. But not so much worth taking the chance intentionally.

8. SNOBIRDS-NY

SNOBIRDS-NY New Member

I'm in western New York. Next week I'll be registering my pup. I have already registered and got plates for my utility, boat, and canoe trailers. I hate going to the DMV, but they won't let me send my money straight to New York City.

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Living in Fl. I have a plate on some of my trailers, most of the utility trailers are registered as homemade, the tag office said to just swap those plates around as I can only pull one at the time. My TT, motor home, and TT are all registered and have tags. Fl does not require an inspection so no hassle there to worry about.

10. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    They just ding us up front with a new plate costing around $200. And as to the older plates, after (5?)years (or some number) the plate has to be replaced so they can get another $100ish from you. We may not have income or personal property taxes in FL but they find ways to get their money.

11. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    Thankfully, Washington State has gotten rid of this silly law.

The only thing, upfront, that we need to pay for is a transfer of title and sales tax on the purchase price, but there is no "plate cost" per se. And the plates can be used for as long as they are readable.

12. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Yes.

13. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    South Carolina
    South Carolina yes, you do have to have plates. I am going to get mine today. Ugg it is the sales tax that I hate the most...

I did notice no one mentioned "insurance"?

Generally here in South Carolina, you have to have proof of insurance to get a license plate.

Yesterday I went to the insurance company to get "insurance". I really don't know if the girl behind the counter knew what she was doing...????

I jokingly said.. "I don't know why I need insurance on this thing, it isn't going to hit anything that my vehicle isn't going to hit first"

She said it was "theft insurance".. ?

I had to get a $14,500 policy for a $4000 dollar PUP??

I'm going to find out today if I really needed insurance to get my TAG, if not.. I am going after a refund..

Just not worth it to us, our Pup is paid for.

Honestly for "US" we don't really want to pay insurance for THEFT, the likely hood of that happening just seems unrealistic to us.... We have a fenced in yard and two animals that would certainly let us know if someone was in our yard. I doubt someone would be brave enough to steal a camper out of a campground??

14. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Active Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    People will steal anything, from anywhere.
    If they think they can make a buck on it.
    See how much the insurance will cost, versus the actual value.
    Because you might pay insurance on the new value of the camper, then if something happens to it they'll send you a check for $800 and say "that is all that it's worth"

Try and insure it at an agreed upon value.
    So, if they say it's valued at $14,500, and a tree falls on it, you get a check for that amount minus your deductible.
    If "book value" is $4K, then it only needs insured for $4K. You don't owe on it, and if you are prepared to bear the cost of replacing it due to theft or other loss then you shouldn't need to insure it.

We have to plate all trailers in WV, anything that will be used on the road. That cost just increased 50% this year, per tag.
    Plus pay property tax on it. Just another way for the state to get some more money from you, I don't know where they spend it because they sure are not fixing the roads.

15. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Don’t jinx yourself by thinking it won’t happen, because that’s exactly when it will. I didn’t put insurance on a sailboat that was tied up to the dock in my backyard in a neighborhood a mile up the main channel that was lit at night....someone stole the $1000 kicker motor that was cabled locked on the back. That was a $1000 lesson that still hurts 5 years later. If it’s stealable, they will steal it.

WVhillbilly likes this.
  16. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    South Carolina
    I do have the insurance so no problem there...But seriously 14000 dollars, 1000. deductible thieft insurance on a 4500 k camper. "Lowest amount availabe" The woman at the hwy dept never could tell me what "KIND" of insurance I needed to get my tags.."Which seemed a bit insane to me" it all seemed a little fish to me. Lol Anyway insurance and tags are done...but I live in a crazy state..