dodge grand caravan

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by penny, Mar 23, 2018.

1. p

p Active Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Pop up. 10 rockwood premiere

2. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    ah, so you don't have the height isn't an issue, just the weight to consider.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  3. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    We have taken the "to" half of our first trip in our new to us trailer. We are loving the trailer but the mileage has about reduced in half. Ugh! Not driving fast, an average number of grades, we are down from about 25mpg to 14-15 mpg. Driving 55-60 mph. People I speak to say that's about right for a v6. I don't know!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  4. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    I would love to get 14-15 mpg. i have a v8 durango - get 17-18 city 23 hwy not towing. the hw popup i used to tow, the worst i got was 13 mpg. Now with the hybrid TT, the 4,000 mile trip out west got 8 mpg. So i just plan to top off the gas tank every 2 to 2 1/2 hours - good potty break anyway. (though I noticed on that trip that I got a bit better gas milage eastbound than when I was traveling westbound - guess the prevailing wind had something to do with that LOL).

5. p

p Active Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Our caravan got 11 pulling the trailer over the mountains.

6. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Ok, I'll quit whining. Mostly glad to know it's normal. And we love the trailer. Tows beautifully.

7. Decker

Decker Member

Sep 23, 2011
    IMO, If you havent gotten a brake controller yet, I'd do it ASAP. I've got an 11 GC and even with it's "upgraded" front brakes they are barely enough for the van itself when it's heavily loaded down. I would also suggest air bags for the rear to keep the van level.

8. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    we did get a brake controller before our first trip. we hitched up the van and carefully measured the distance the front lifted. it was only 1/8" which made us feel a weight distribution hitch would not be necessary. not only that, but someone who knows about our trailer mentioned that it has a light axle and he wouldn't put the stress of a WD hitch on it. Maybe air bags would help, and we may get them, we are still working out the finer points of towing.

more concerning to me is the frontal area restriction and the load on the transmission. we recently took a longer trip, and I felt that with kayaks on the roof of the van and some fairly strong windy days, we were asking too much of the van. tomorrow, I take it in for a transmission service, and hope they can give an assessment of the tranny's strength and give me their opinion on towing a trailer that exceeds that restriction by about 10 sq. ft. I think without the kayak and the wind, it would have been much easier, and that's easy to remedy.

I wish my little TT was a bit more aerodynamic, and I don't like the speed restrictions I'm starting to face. oh well...

Orchid likes this.
  9. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    I've pulled our pup with our 2007 Dodge Manivan for years. I've got a stock trans with 190k. Moved the 4 wheelers, loads of lawn mower, all kinds of stuff.
    Stay out of overdrive, period. Don't go fast, period. Do your maintenance, period. Have a transmission cooler installed, period. All will be well.

10. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    thanks! we bought the van with 102k on it. I believe it was maintained as it was owned by a shuttle service company. we don't use the "econo" feature, which is overdrive, I believe. tranny cooler is next on the list. and I guess I will lower my expectations of how fast we can drive uphills. I just wish I could find the information on how much load the higher profile of a TT adds to the weight. we are well below the weight limit listed in the manual and on line, but over the frontal area restriction placed on the van in the same chart.

11. J Starsky

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
  12. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    I did email dodge, they said "In 2015, they all had heavy duty transmission cooling". an aftermarket is what we are thinking of.
    True about speed and vacation [KK]

J Starsky likes this.
  13. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Brake controller installed will give you peace of mind like it does for me on every trip.

14. J Starsky

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    You can surely add another in line if you choose. Not hard and not expensive either.

15. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    then it's cheap and easy insurance. thanks

16. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Nov 25, 2015
    We have been towing our camper for 6 years with an 03 GC.
    All over PA, MD, OH, VA, NC. Added a trans cooler when we got the camper and keep rolling. Only has abt 135,000 miles.
    We love the GC.

17. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    It's a travel trailer, taller than a pop up?

18. Decker

Decker Member

Sep 23, 2011

Not sure about the "eco" button. We have one in ours as well. The transmission will use all 6 gears no matter which position the switch is in. I dont recall having an O/D cancel in my 11 DGC.

19. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    [QUOTE="penny, post: 1198830, member: 99467]I will lower my expectations of how fast we can drive uphills. I just wish I could find the information on how much load the higher profile of a TT adds to the weight. we are well below the weight limit listed in the manual and on line, but over the frontal area restriction placed on the van in the same chart.[/QUOTE] When I upgraded to a 3500 gvw popup I was quite surprised how much I felt the weight on the hills and I don't have the high profile trailer you do. I have a 5000 tow limit on my vehicle, on flat ground I can fly if I wanted to, so when my car slowed down to 40 mph on the steeper hills of a mountain I could really hear how much the SUV was working. So I agree you have to lower your expectations on hills, gravity alone can make your camper feel heavier to your car and then you have the wind shear to add its 2 cents to the load. When you tow heavier units you just have to expect a slower travel time. Life is in the journey after all not the speed of getting there.