Dometic 3 way fridge problem

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by Drvred, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    My Dometic puts out alot of heat out of the top vent, on AC and propane.
    But it won't cool much past 50 degrees.
    I ran it for 2 days on AC, traveled for 90 minutes on DC and when I got set up, it was hot inside.
    Switched it to high on propane, put cold beer in it, and the next morning it was 49 degrees.
    I put an L shaped baffle to force all air up the back of the fridge like I did to my Norcold, which would freeze water on a 80 degree day.
    Should I take the baffle out?
    This on a 2016 camper, so I wouldn't think it's worn out.

2. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

Apr 17, 2012
    Grand Rapids, MI
    They can take a long time to get to temp.
    A popular mod is taking computer fans and mounting them on the baffle to force that hot air out while on the bottom it would be pulling cooler air in.
    I've done this to our camper with two computer fans and it works really well. I don't run my fridge on max cold because it just freezes everything.
    I turn our fridge on the day before a trip if I'm going to be using the fridge on the trip.

3. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    I need to get fans, the Norcold worked well with just the baffle.
    The Dometic puts out much more heat outside than the Norcold, but doesn't cool nearly as well.
    Running on AC 2 for 2 days should have cold soaked it.

4. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    The day I got it it cooled well with no baffle

5. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    what is the outside temp when you have the issue?

6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    With these fridges, there are no moving parts to wear out. I would start with checking/cleaning the burner, then the flu. critters can get into the burner and or flu. A spider's nest in the burner will give you fits.
    I had to clean the burner on my Norcold last week. I used canned air to blow it out. 12 hours later the inside temp was 28

7. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    It's 71 outside, 50 in the fridge

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I put 2 computer fans in the back of mine and added a thermostat to shut it off and on and a switch inside to shut them off when reefer is not needed. Mine freezes if I turn the thermostat over 1/2 way on electric and LP. A good place to get the parts is www.allelectronics.com.
    Good Luck and Happy Camping

9. tenttrailer

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    that cool out. I would expect after 2 days of cool down it would be freezing things.

10. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    70 this morning, 52 in fridge

11. tenttrailer

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    70 in the morning, I would have mine set to 3-4 and it would be right around 34F in the fridge. You have an issue. You said you get the same results either on propane or 120V elec??? It sounds like its a fridge issue. Cooling system has an issue? These small fridges there is no fixing it. I would be checking into the warranty from the date the camper was sold as new. 2016, it might still be under warranty???

a night 70 and below, it should not need fans or baffling to be in the 30's

12. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    Do the small fridges have the curleyque thingy in the flue?
    Or an elbow to direct the heat towards the outside?
    Mine has neither.
    Also, the black wire to the 12 volt connector on the left side of the box was disconnected, and when I went to connect it, the white wire came loose. I didn't pay attention and forgot what went where. The fridge side of the connector has brown and black wires. Which one is the ground?
    It seems like it creates alot of heat right there in the top. It is very hot coming out of the top grate.
    The fins on the inside were only 65 degrees.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  13. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    Once I added a 120 mm fan this thing works well. I was out working on the camper today. It was 88 with low humidity, and the sun shining on the fridge side, and it got to 38 on 120.
    I can drink 38 degree beer.