Dometic 3-Way Fridge Woes

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by Mogimus, May 16, 2018.

1. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    I have a 2006 Niagara with a Dometic RM7401L. It has worked well in the past and even better with the fan mod; however, this past year and a half it has been acting up and I cannot figure it out. I'm hoping for some advice before giving up on it and going a different direction.

The problem:
    Fridge will work good on AC & DC power, but will hover in the high 40's to low 50's on propane even when ambient is in the 60's.

Steps taken to try to resolve the issue:
    1 - I've read that the most common resolution to this has been to clean the burned and jet. I've cleaned the "crack pipe" a couple times throughout the months just to make sure I did it right the first time. Currently have a tall blue flame.
    2 - I have also read, from this group, that cleaning the flue will help with the heat transfer if the pipe is corroded. I removed the fridge and looked at the pipe. It didn't look like there was any corrosion on debris inside the pipe but at this point, I might as well do it since it was already taken apart. I took a brass wire brush down the pipe and some sand paper on a dowel, reassembled it, and reinstalled it.
    3 - Another tip I read up on was to "burp" the fridge. At this point, I figured its still not working so it could only help. Took the fridge out, flipped it for several hours, and reinstalled it.
    4 - After all this time and effort with no cure, I kept researching and decided to check the propane supply. I bought a low pressure manometer and checked my line. It was holding 10" WC. Being on the bottom end of the range, I decided to replace the regulator and re-test. Holding just over 11" WC.

After all this, I tested it for a night and was holding good temps. I got all excited and thought I was good to go but after our next trip out, it was back to the same.

I fired it up recently to check the flame and it's still good. Temps are still in the high 40's to low 50's. I did notice that the freezer section is working tho. I put the thermometer in there and it read 6 degrees and probably still pulling down some. Does this tell me that the propane system is working correctly?

Where do I go from here?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    It is possible that the propane parts have been worn out since that you dry camp a lot. Checking to see if fridge works well with 120v, then you would know that the propane parts aren't working. tall flame may mean good but somewhere in the propane parts in fridge may need replacement. The fridge itself may be just working fine. BUT if the fridge running on 120V for 24 hours does not cool well, then you know that its time to replace the 3-way fridge or have it serviced. Just all that coming from my wee little mind.

3. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    I'm starting to wonder what controls the temps between the 2 zones since my freezer if working good... some electrical component that I know nothing about :(

4. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    look for frayed or loose wiring.

5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    My bet was on a bad propane regulator.

6. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Funny thing is, I had replaced my old regulator to a new auto changeover Camco regulator recently so I didn't think it would be that... but then I can across several articles online specifically about that regulator and how it affected the refrigerator performance so I decided to test it out and working pressure was on the low end or the range so I replaced it.

7. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    My regulator came out of adjustment all of the sudden causing cooling not to be sufficient. Fortunately, my TT has a built in manometer in the fridge gas line. Diagnosis and adjustment were simple.

8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Hook up your manometer and adjust the pressure

9. RetAF

RetAF Member

Apr 22, 2010
    You also might want to clean the orifice (jet) if you haven't done that already. You said you cleaned the crack pipe, but didn't say you cleaned the jet. I have found it to be the problem with my fridge a couple of times.