Dometic 3way - Propane Problems

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by swtigers, Jun 3, 2018.

1. swtigers

swtigers Member

Apr 23, 2013
    I know there are a lot of threads on this subject but I've read them and I can't seem to answer my questions so I'm making my own thread - sorry. I have a Rockwood 1950 with a Dometic 3way fridge. It cools down to high30s on 120v or solar/battery just fine but when I switch to propane it flat out doesn't work.
    • Pilot lights and is blue, not orange
    • Flue is clear, blown out
    • I have done all the maintenance suggested by the manual, took it apart, there's no soot (it's clean as a whistle, only 6 years old)
    • The stack gets hot
    • The unit doesn't cool at all and eventually stabilizes to the temperature of the outside (I have thermometers measuring it)
    Frankly, when I listen to it really closely it seems to my exceptionally untrained ears that the pilot light is working but no main gas is flowing through the unit. I think the stack might just be getting hot from the pilot light? The "exhaust" (??) from the top of the stack is really not that hot, it's really quite luke warm.

Could this be something with a regulator? If it were, how in the world would I go about identifying it? How do I troubleshoot this? I'm fine replacing or buying new bits, but this thing is pretty cramped and it's not clear to me where I'm working. There's a black coiled area and a gas ball looking thing that almost looks like it might be a compressor or something.

If propane wasn't being supplied to the unit to fire the pilot light, I'd say maybe the propane wasn't reaching the unit for some reason but that's clearly not it. Might it be possible that propane reaches the pilot but doesn't supply a main gas? Should I be able to hear a "hiss" as the gas flows because I certainly do not hear nor smell anything at all like that. Just a nice blue flame burning warmly by itself and a fridge that doesn't heat for crap on LP.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    I am pretty sure all you will ever have running on lp is the small blue flame... have you let it run on lp for 24 hours? Have you pre-cooled on 120v and then switched to lp? Do you have it on the "coolest" setting? I apologize if these questions sound stupid - just the first things that come to mind...

3. swtigers

swtigers Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Yes to all. When cooled fully and then switched to LP is slowly rises in temperature and then equalizes. When camping this took merely overnight when it went from 40 (on battery) to 67 (on LP) in 8 hours overnight.

4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    You need to check your gas pressure with a manometer

5. swtigers

swtigers Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Even though the LP works for the stove, the grill, and the heating?

6. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    Yes....You do not know if they are getting the correct amount.

7. swtigers

swtigers Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Yeah. I don't know a thing about a manometer. Any suggestion for light reading on here before I just go blindly reading on the web? Do we have specific resources here for us puppers?

8. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    You can find several sites that will show you how to make one.