Dometic Brisk II Freezing Up?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by tcbrady, Jul 11, 2018.

1. tcbrady

tcbrady Member

Apr 30, 2018
    Central Pennsylvania
    hello all!

Recently grabbed ourself a 2014 Flagstaff MAC 228 with the factory installed Dometic AC. So far we’ve gone on three trips using the AC with no issues. This recent trip however I noticed the AC stopped producing cold air. I popped on of the covers off inside and noticed some ice building up on the fins. (Condenser? Sorry, not well with AC terminology.) I read that it might not be draining properly, so I adjusted the level of the camper and turned the AC back on - was shooting cool air again. A few hours later, no cool air. Ice was building back up again so I turned the fan on to melt the ice and left the system be. Is there something I’m doing wrong? Is this system just taking a **** on us already? Can they be recharged with Freon? (Everything I’ve Read states no...) Starting to feel like this purchase wasn’t the best idea as no much has been going well for us with the camper since we acquired it, not to mention the RV dealer hasn’t been too great either!

2. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    Sounds like it is freezing up try to not run it on high if there is high humidity.[:D]

3. tcbrady

tcbrady Member

Apr 30, 2018
    Central Pennsylvania
    So just running it on lower setting will help with this? Just notice that when we run it in lower it doesn’t cool as much...

4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Mine freezes up whenever I run it on low. I have no problems on high. Generally on these units if you have it in the coldest setting you have to run the fan on high, otherwise the reduced airflow allowed the find to freeze up.

5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    High humidity and low air flow will help one to freeze up. Low refrigerant will also cause it freeze up. No way to tell as there aren't any gauge ports on the unit.
    Is the evaporator clean? Dirt will block air flow.
    To be "recharged" a port has to be added.. This is a job for a HACV shop

6. tcbrady

tcbrady Member

Apr 30, 2018
    Central Pennsylvania
    Interesting. Yeah, I had it set at the coldest setting on high and ithats when it was freezing up...

7. tcbrady

tcbrady Member

Apr 30, 2018
    Central Pennsylvania
    I plan to remove the cover and take a better look this weekend when we get home. Not able to get up on top of the camper currently with being at a camp site. From what I could tell it didn’t look terriblely dirty, just a little bit. But that doesn’t account for what could be within the fins. I’m thinking an air compressor could be an easy way to clean?

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    They do make a Freeze Control Kit for Brisk Models. I think they are standard on Ducted models.

9. tcbrady

tcbrady Member

Apr 30, 2018
    Central Pennsylvania
    Might sound stupid, but what exactly does this do and how do you know your unit is needing one? They common to install on units that don’t use air ducts?

10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    When the evaporater get too cold and wants to freeze it will cycle the compressor. Cars always had them.

11. tcbrady

tcbrady Member

Apr 30, 2018
    Central Pennsylvania
    Does anyone know if anyone has ever replaced their Dometic Brisk Air II with the Dometic Penguin II and whether or not how involved that is? From the research I've done, looks like the Brisk Air II had manufacturing issues from '13-'15. If this is the case, not really looking to replace with the same unit and noticed that Dometic had a light more sleek model.

Only concern is the whether the opening is going to be the same and or whether other wiring would need to be done...

I realize all these questions should be addressed with the RV Dealer but unfortunately ours hasn't displayed the best workmanship and or provided a good basis for trust...

12. tcbrady

tcbrady Member

Apr 30, 2018
    Central Pennsylvania
    I was able to pop off the cover yesterday after work and noticed that some of the fins were bent (not many) and the condenser fins on the inside (not the ones visible from the outside looking in) were pretty dirty. Thinking this might be the culprit or at least a contributing factor in all this. Has anyone ever used the tool that helps straighten the fins out? I found a set of them on Amazon for $8, figured it might be worth it. Also, to clean the condenser and the evaporator coils I saw that some people do a "dry clean" first, using a shop vac with a light bristle attachment to get the dust/dirt off then use can of AC Coil Cleaner? (Dometic has it's own, figured I'd just use that since it's a Dometic AC.) Let the coil cleaner sit then hose it down lightly? This sound about right?

13. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    You want to concentrate your cleaning efforts on the evaporator, as the evap is what needs the air flow to prevent freez-up's. And yes it will be messy on the inside of the pup when using coil clean.

14. tcbrady

tcbrady Member

Apr 30, 2018
    Central Pennsylvania
    The evaporator wasn't too dirty, noticeably it had a few bugs, dust and a few fins bent. Otherwise the dirtiest thing was the inside of the condenser fins. Definitely a noticeable amount of dirt caked on there at the bottom of it directly behind the fan.

I'm thinking if I lay a towel down in the hole above the filter that sound minimize the amount of water that can pass through to the camper itself. Of course I'll pitch the camper to the back to help force water to run off that way too.

15. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    If you turn the temp control (not fan speed) all the way to the coldest setting the compressor will never be able to turn off. In high humidity this will cause icing on the evaporator (the fins inside). The condenser (the fins you see outside) will never freeze, it can actually get hot enough to burn you. If an AC is icing up it is usually low on freon, but not always. All cooling systems can have freon added, but some will require the addition of charge ports to the system.

emoney likes this.
  16. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I believe hosing off the radiator and cleaning the inside will help prevent the icing up.

17. tcbrady

tcbrady Member

Apr 30, 2018
    Central Pennsylvania
    So I cleaned the coils last weekend and went out camping this weekend. Still froze up a few time but not as bad as before. Noticed if I turned the AC off for a little then back on it was ice cold for a while. Setting up an appointment at the local RV place since this goes above my knowledge now. Hoping it’s not going to need replaced...

18. tcbrady

tcbrady Member

Apr 30, 2018
    Central Pennsylvania
    How can I tell if I have this or not? Is the install semi-easy?

19. tcbrady

tcbrady Member

Apr 30, 2018
    Central Pennsylvania
    Just an update - Installed the unit last night. Extremely easy install, was pretty impressed. Won't be able to test out the unit to see how it does until our next camping trip though. :grin: