Don’t DIY; buy the PUGs.

Discussion in 'PopUp Gizmos' started by MaeKay, Mar 29, 2018.

1. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    I was being cheap thinking I could do this project myself. I’m pretty sure I’m almost $100 into the project and not even half way done. The super high wind ones only cost $169. Oy.

kitphantom likes this.
  2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Yes, as a sew-er, I was tempted to make my own. Once I added up materials, including the fabric, webbing, shock cords, clips, etc., I was more than happy to order from PUGs. I have done enough other sewing for all of our campers to know sometimes, it's just better buy the item and not reinvent the wheel. I made zippered cushion covers for the first popup, including the bunk - much easier to work on than the PUGs material. (I sewed Velcro on one set, since we didn't realize we needed it on our second pup, the first one pinched the PUG securely between roof and bunk end. Adhesives don't usually work out in our climate.)

MaeKay likes this.
  3. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Looks like since we live in Texas heat that the PUGS are on our list too. Oh man, so much to think about and do for the newbie.

MaeKay likes this.
  4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    They are based a couple of hours from you just outside of Dallas in Farmers Branch.

Dan from Troup likes this.
  5. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I may need to order mine soon. I see very tiny pieces like flakes falling off my Gizmos. They are probably 7 years old. Lasted longer than I thought.

MaeKay likes this.
  6. Dan from Troup

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Wow, might be worth a ride over to ask questions, tips etx. Thanks good buddy.

7. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Or give Bob a call. He is very easy to work with and customer service oriented.

PopupGizmos
    13844 Tanglewood Dr
    Farmers Branch TX 75234
    972-849-9240

MaeKay likes this.
  8. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    It can get overwhelming. My husband and I now hear ourselves saying, “Let’s check the forum” when we don’t know what to do. Which is everything because we’re totally newbies and have no local mentor. Haha, even my dad has commented on what a treasure this forum must be because he hears me talk about it and is impressed with how much I’ve learned.

Dan from Troup and jnc like this.
  9. Dan from Troup

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Perhaps it's not only learning new skillsets like having to replace my frayed lift cable soon but kinda freaking out about all the horror stories and graphic pictures of catastrophic damage/wood rot to roofs, walls and floors. As a retired home inspector I know the structural dangers of water intrusion. Fortunately I found a PUP that had always been stored in inside storage. However I don't have that provision for mine yet but plan to build a cover over it. The sobering advice to remain vigilant with inspection and regular maintenance is speaking to me rather strongly. Yes, this forum is a Godsend. Thanks for your encouragement good friend.

Dan